Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Default question about exhaust

hey everyone,
i have a 03 SS. i am wondering what is the best exhaust to get on it. i am only interested in mufflers, i would like a deeper purr, i know it wont sound like a v8..well because its a v6. what should i be looking at getting? i am also going to be getting Razzi ground effects. does anyone know how big of opening i have to play with for exhaust tips? also, what is a U bend delete? i see alot of people have them here, but im not sure what it does.

thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Default RE: question about exhaust

Hi `Mike, below are pic's (Posted earlier by Member Keegan),
that shows the u-bend.
Most Muffler Shop cando the job.
Also, I like Flowmaster 40's.
Use the MCF Search Engine to check other members
post and some with sound clips.
Good Luck `Mike,
`Space
STOCK:

AFTERMARKET:

Also, not only does the UBend Delete help with 5-6 hp, it also helps to significantly reduce backpressure, thereby reducing knock retard
[:-]

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Very well put, Space. As far as the Razzi, I would measure for yourself... BEFORE buying the exhaust... Third, there are so many opinions on exhaust sounds, I think its allll a matter of what you prefer...

Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM

theres a lot of variables to consider... upgrading the cat to a highflow, getting a cold air intake, and getting a bend and resinator delete, all help deepen the sound. The exhaust you like will be changing the soud the more you do! Listen to sound clips and such on other 3.8s and youll start to learn what ya need to do to get the sound your looking for.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was seriously considering getting a complete exhaust job done, with the U-bend delete and all that. But a buddy of mine who's a mechanic, and also regularly races his 1980 Camaro, told me that might not be a good idea. He said I may end up needing to do one thing after another to correct problems that arise from making the original mod. Is this really the case? I know lots of people here have re-done their exhaust systems and also have made other engine mods. But how many of them were necessary because of problems from the original mod?

I don't like the sound coming from my stock exhaust either. If I do get the exhaust system done, what else would I absolutely have to do (if anything) to make sure the engine runs properly without throwing codes at me, or failing emissions testing. The exhaust system would be expensive enough. I don't want to have to start spending hundreds or thousands more to correct one problem after another. Like everyone else here, money is not in endless supply.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Flowmasters and Magnaflows offer a great deep loud growl. A bit quieter is the Dynomax.