Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Question about ceramic coating and headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question about ceramic coating and headers

Need some information about ceramic coating my headers.

While I know that the headers and the cross over will be coated, just how far back is it necessary or beneficial to go with it?

I'm guessing that you just coat up to the flex piece and leave the flex and the downpipe uncoated? Is that the usual method?

thoughts and opinions?

David

Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that ceramic coating is great for looks, but doesn't provide nearly as much underhood temperature reduction as good old header wrap. I suppose this depends on the quality of the coating you get, too.

It's really a personal choice- but the Speed Daddy headers look pretty awesome right out of the box and I never even considered getting mine coated. I did wrap my crossover pipe with header wrap to help with heat soaking my throttle body and MAF, and it's seemed to help a bit.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM

You live in Massechusetts, stay away from the header wrap unless you want the pipes rusted out in 2-3 years.

The ceramic coating rules all. I was questionable on it when I first started modding, but when my hand brushed up against my SLP's right after I had run it I braced for the pain only to find none. I was able to grab my headers and they just felt warm. I touched my blower and jumped back.

See if you can find a local coating company to do it for you. It costs about $100 bucks but well worth it.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Do it get them coated. I ran header wrap on my headers for a long time. When I took it off the headoers were pretty rusted. They hold water and if you get oil on them they smoke forever and they stain easy. They will reduce the underhood way better than the wrap. Plus, the wrap is made with insulation and if you are anything like me it will cause you to get rashes and itch alot. DO the coating you won't regret it. I have JetHot on my Hooker Headers.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM

Very informative thread.
This is what i was asking about in your other thread.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Would the ceramic coating help even with the stock exhaust manifolds?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Yea, it would. but why would you go through getting them coated. For the money and performance gain just get a set of headers that are coated.

But, if you insist on using the stock manifolds then it would help anything to reduce the engine temp and under hood temp is always a plus.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Well, I decided to go with the Swaintech header coatings instead of the JetHot Silver Extreme. The only drawback is that the Swaintech coating is a white ceramic, but for the performance of the Swaintech its a fair tradeoff. Swaintech says their coating is thicker than others and that its a true ceramic coating vs a ceramo-pigment paint application common to most other brands, and they rated the temperature resistance to 3000degrees F

Cost for the coatings is more than the cost of the headers...but I found that to be the case with the JetHot coating prices as well.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Glad to hear you were able to have them done.
any chance of engine bay shots? :P