Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Power log vs PEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Question Power log vs PEM

I've been trying to price out the last few mods for our monte and have hit a snag. I can seem to find a powerlog available anywhere. Look like zzp has been sold out for quite some time and I can't seem to find one anywhere else. Our current mods are in our signature plus we have 1 heat range colder spark plugs and we currently have 0 KR across the powerband. We'd like to add a front powerlog, 1.9 ratio rockers and if we still have 0 KR then drop down a pully size or 2.

Since we can't find a plog anywhere, are PEMS a suitable substitute or are they a waste of money, or is there a source for powerlogs that I'm just not seeing? Thank you for any help

Last edited by labnjab; 08-13-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PEMS in my opinion are a waste of money. I take it you have never seen / held the front exhaust manifold? It's actually not circular, but the pipes are like a crescent moon. Really not much room for porting.

I would say either have the Downpipe and Front Powerlog, or go a full set ofheaders. I wouldn't bother with PEMS.

Annoy ZZP until they get it back in stock.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 AM

I disagree with PEMs being a waste of money. I went 13.13 in my Monte with a front PEM setup. It definitely allows the engine to exhaust better than stock. It does depend on the PEM you're using though- Wbody Store does a great port job on the manifolds. Others aren't so good.

I do agree that the PLOG is superior. Honestly, a PLOG and 3" downpipe setup is good enough for almost all but the most extreme builds. Folks on other forums have hard-ons for headers- and headers are great- but at least 75% of those running headers don't really need them.

Once you get your 1.9 rockers in, either PEMs or a PLOG should absolutely let your run a 3.4 pulley, unless you're car has serious problems.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM

15 Year Member

I know you are selling a set of PEMs, and if ZZP says they aren't going to get the Powerlog in anytime soon, then it might be worth it to look at a PEM.

But if the choice is this or that, money not an issue. Definitely the Powerlog.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM

I would recommend headers over all those options. That is the route that I am going.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunantly money is an issue, so headers are out, but after the pulley were going to be done with power adders so we won't really need headers anyways. I want to do it right so we'll wait to find a PLOG. Were in no huge hurry, although I'd like to get everything done by the time the drag strip closes for the season.

The car is in awesome running condition, low mileage and 0 KR. Our goal is around 300 crank horsepower and now were at 270 (according to the aeroforce scan gauge) so hopefully the plog, rockers and pulley will get us there.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

15 Year Member

It should, the standard 3.4 build is usually right around 300crank

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

I know you are selling a set of PEMs, and if ZZP says they aren't going to get the Powerlog in anytime soon, then it might be worth it to look at a PEM.

But if the choice is this or that, money not an issue. Definitely the Powerlog.
I tend to agree- but there are two issues with the PLOG that you don't have with PEMs though:
-PLOGs are known to crack and leak (even the 304 stainless one like I have on my Regal is known to leak now)
-PLOGs sometimes contact the AC condenser, causing it to fail.

This won't ALWAYS happen with a PLOG- but it's worth considering. From a strictly performance basis, the PLOG does absolutely blow away a PEM setup- but like everything, there's pros and cons.

I would recommend headers over all those options. That is the route that I am going.
I disagree. Headers are awesome, but he won't even be near to needing them with his basic 3.4 setup...and for the hassle they are to install, I'd skip them. I've got a PLOG/3" downpipe setup on my Regal GS, and along with 1.9 rockers and a 3.4 pulley it runs like a champ.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM

How much of a power difference between the plog or pem? I'm going to contact zzp and see how long before they have plogs again. If its not anytime soon the pems it is as long as they'll still allow me to run a 3.4 pulley (after rockers of course)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM

I just found a plog for sale on club gp for $110 Is it ok to buy a used one?

Quick Reply: Power log vs PEM