Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Downpipe needing installed !

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Downpipe needing installed !

Hello there guys, just need a Lil help. I JUST bought a 304 Stainless downpipe with a HIGH FLOW Magnaflow cat and it deletes the U bend as well. I bought a new resonator as well. Got 2-3 questions before I screw it up. What should I do to pre-pair to remove the bolts from the exhaust manifold? Usually they are like WELDED IN, I just bought some penetrating oil that I'm gonna set on there for 2 days (keep spraying) and HOPE they don't break. ( I asked a local muffler shop BEFORE I BOUGHT it and they said they would install it, but BAILED on me AFTER I bought it. Ive asked ever one of them that I can think of to do this, and NO ONE will touch it) SO I have to do it myself. SO I could use All the help I can get. Any pointers? I Do not have an air compression, I DO have some good tools (Snap on) so I don't round off the head of the bolt. And the next question is, do I need to use a O@ sensor extension to install it? 3rd question is, I know that I need or will need some"Reprogramming" (I was told) because of the high flow downpipe) and have NO CLUE on who or where to get that dome..... ANY help would ROCK ! I heard that you can buy a reprogrammer for about $400, but I don't have that right now. Is their ANYONE in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area that can help? Willing to pay... and reprogramming is a HUGE help.... thanks a ton....MJC...

Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Be careful - but applying heat with a hand held torch has always worked well for me in the past to aid in removing stubborn nuts and studs.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't see why anyone wouldn't install it.

I would try the penetrating fluid, and a breaker bar, just be warned you may have to drill and tap out the screws if need be.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Default Bit th bullet

I went ahead and bit the bullet and installed it myself. Thought it was gonna be a HUGE job because my resonator needed replaced as well and was SUPER worried that the downpipe bolts were gonna break, BUT I used penetrating oil for 2 days and they came out VERY easy (easy considering where they are located as well as a Lil elbow into it) BUT out of all things, the O2 sensor would NOT budge, 3 days of oil no go... 4th day the O2 sensor came loose (I thought) and it was a CROSS TREADED O2 sensor, i wasn't that it was that tight, it was stripped out...that ticked me off big time. I mean, CROSS TREADED !!!!!! WOW... Had my wife go pick one up and the only one I could get was the Bosch, I didn't want the Bosch because Ive heard tons of bad things about the Bosch O2 sensor, but I didn't have a choice. Well after I replaced the downpipe, the resonator and a 12 inch tailpipe to mend it all together and MAN does it sound better. I'm not looking for a huge rumble, just a tad of throat when you get er dun, and she does !! Also, IMMEDIATE difference off the Line and around 55 mph ( I used a 304 stainless downpipe with a high flow Magnaflow cat and a smaller resonator, mag,) thats why I needed a patch in the pipe of about 12 inches. NOW I have the CEL on after 50-60 miles ( I was told it would do that, so I'm sending in my PCM to ZZP for a reprogram ) SO Im all syked about it.... I thank you tons "MonteSS02" Im loving it Michael...