Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ZZP downpipe installed. Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ZZP downpipe installed. Sound?

Hey guys! 2.5 inch ZZP downpipe installed yesterday... Big ups to Chibiblacksheep for pointing me in the right direction. Car is running stronger (more acceleration) then ever. Have a few questions about sound... First off.. 100% stock 03 SSHS with 120k. Shop did the install... Didn't notice the gaskets I ordered from ZZP so they put other ones on. I mention because I'm hearing a possible HISS sound from that area... Could that be related? Tried to upload a video but it failed. Will retry later. Also, considering the exhaust system is completely stock... It sometimes will backfire, ok... Maybe wrong word but when rev revving the motor she will (don't laugh) go Vrooom.... Vrooom... Blum Blum blumm. Is this normal? In other words.... Sounds like something's getting choked up. For what it's worth... I drove on the bad cat for a month! I also have a huge Tapping sound coming from motor but I think I'll post that issue on another thread. Long short... Motor taps no matter outside temp till she comes up to operating temp, then completely disappears... Tried engine treatments to no avail. Mechanic suggested a motor shop as he believes it's lifters, rods etc.

So... Guess my question is... Is it normal to hear more sound coming from below my feet as opposed to out the rear? Never drove a modded car so may be completely normal... Any other suggestions on how to improve rest of intake/exhaust system would greatly be appreciated. Read something about removing a resonator? Also plan on installing cat back or some other system at your suggestion. Headers? Looking for bark AND bite... Tired of getting dusted from these teens in their suped up Hondas.

Rock on guys and as always THANKS A BUNCH!

(Will post tap issue in other thread)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (87.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You shouldn't hear exhaust sound exiting under the car that tells me there is a leak. Yes it will sound different because it's more free flowing. The tap sounds like a lifter issue to me as well. I advise not doing headers unless you are going to supercharge it because you could lose some power. (A natural aspirated engine needs some back pressure to make most power. A to free flowing exhaust could hurt you actually, on a sc car quicker exhaust gets out the better though)

I say buy a intake from cold air inductions or build your own for cheaper. Could look into getting a tuned pcm also.

You can make a na car kinda snappy but big noticeable gains will only come if you supercharge it or turbo it.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most likely the seal at the cat-back is bad. I would take it back and let them see.

Headers would be a waste of money now. Because they would replace that brand new downpipe.

Get an intake and a ZZP front powerlog and just enjoy a better breathing engine

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

hey havent seen u on here in a while. that downpipe looks nice and shiney, cant wait till i put mines on, hopefully tomorrow i cant put that plog on, but hopefully you get to make a video, im sure other members along with me would like to see, and hopefully it would help solve ya problem

Old 03-15-2014, 07:01 PM

Well... Turns out I was right. The idiots at the shop who didn't use the gaskets from ZZP and just threw ones on that somewhat fit have now caused me more of a headache. The car is backfiring from rear gasket (behind cat, not downpipe end) ... Question is... I shouldn't have a problem swapping out that gasket myself right? I'm assuming cause they just had the two volts off it's just a matter of piping off the old and installing the new right? Anything I need to know? Gasket sealant? Proper torque ?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Unbolt clean gasket surfaces put new gasket in, use antiseze (spelled wrong) on bolts and make them tight. Easy as that

Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM

15 Year Member

I would also run the car up to operating temp, drive around a little, then park and retighten the bolts.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Did the zzp downpipe come with a gasket? I don't think mines did

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 AM

15 Year Member

They should have come with 2 gaskets.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM

No... Didn't come with gaskets... But purchased 2. So I went back to shop and got my correct gaskets back. Problem is the guy told me that it won't make a difference because the pipe that the downpipe attaches to (guessing resonator) is all rusted out. So now what? What do you guys recommend?

Quick Reply: ZZP downpipe installed. Sound?