Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Default need some help

I have a 95 z34, and i'm trying to figure out what i want to do with the exhaust setup. I plan on doing the U-bend delete. but i'm not sure if i should have a cat or not. if i have a cat, which one should i get and what should the rest of my setup be? I don't know if the flowmaster 40's will give me the sound i'm looking for. I want it to sound pretty throaty for a V6. I'm new to the monte carlo world so let me know what you think would be the best setup. thanks
-casey

Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Default RE: need some help

Hey Bro! welcome to the board! luck you. im one of the few with that enigne on the board. well there are a few diff between the 95 and the 96 but pretty much they are the same. let me tell you what i have done and you will be in great shape!

if your looking for a nice sound out of the car, i would start with an air intake first. then do hte exhaust. here is my WWW i have tons of pics and on pg 6 i have a write up with how to's most importantly it will show you how to build a FWI for your/our cars for very cheep... id say under $40-50

OK now for the question of exhaust. your/our cars have a 2.5" down pipe factory so that wont need to be changed unless your doing major upgrades...also our cars dont have that horable "U bend" i have a completely new system from the DP back. here is how it's set up:
-High Flow Cat 2.5" (any HF cat should do, id stick with magnaflow to keep it all the same) also if you do a HF cat, you will need an O2 simulator or need to buy a performace PCM with the O2 codes removed you can get them at ( http://60degreev6.com/store/ ) and if you cant find one there PM me i'll find you one.
-Magnaflow muffler can style 6"x14" -2.5" dia
-2.5" Glass pack where the factory resonator was next to the gas tank
-Y pipe into equal lenght Vett style tips.

the entire system is straight thru with no restriction. it is nice and loud/deep behind the car, but its not too loud inside the car. when you go up a bridge or are next to a large truck you can really hear the sound. i love it!

one thing to keep in mind is to keep it comfortable if you take the car on the highway for trips... a loud system will drive you mad! that is why i got rid of my side pipe and added in the glass pack and put the tips on. the tone in the car was just horable on the highway.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 AM

thanks, i didn't know that i didn't have the U-bend. I had heard everyone talking about it, so i figured i must have it.
will i need the O2 simulater if i run no cat? I don't really know how that works. A kid i know has a 95 MC ls and is runnning no cat with flow 40's and it sounds good. Will the 3.4 sound different? and where can i get some nice tips from? the vettes look good on yours. i like it. also i was going through your cardomain and i saw you had all of your switches in the ashtray. I was considering putting mine in there too. how hard was it to run them in there? what'd you have to do in order to actually mount them. I liked that setup alot.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM

yep removing the cat or even installing a high flow cat will set a SES code. so you will need a sim. your car will sound diff than the 3100 but yours will sound better. most exhaust shops have a book or poster with diff tips. that is your best bet.

as for the switches, you just need to take apart the center console and then cut the space for the switches you want. and then just run the power.