Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla??? 2006 SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla??? 2006 SS

I think I want to go to a muffler shop and get the Magnaflows. I assume I need to get the whole exhaust system and not just the mufflers if I want to improve the horsepower.

Is Magnafolw whats called a "cat-back" system?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bwill314

I think I want to go to a muffler shop and get the Magnaflows. I assume I need to get the whole exhaust system and not just the mufflers if I want to improve the horsepower.

Is Magnafolw whats called a "cat-back" system?
Good choice, magnaflows sound nice. The gains of a full catback over an axle back are very minimal, but if you plan on doing all the bolt on's you can possibly do then it may make more sense to go that route. But if you're just gonna do exhaust/intake then the catback wouldn't make much sense. MagnaFlow is a brand of muffler/exhaust systems, not a type of system like catback. They make mufflers only and they make catbacks too.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM

I'm getting the K/N Cole air intake system 1st. That is more affordable. What type of Magnaflow should I get after that?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

the polished magnaflows are the ones i got, i got offset offset polished magnaflow's and they sound awesome! not near as loud as the flowmasters BUT they dont droan inside the car like the flowmasters did, i'm very happy with them

Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM

I'm getting the K/N Cole air intake system 1st. That is more affordable. What type of Magnaflow should I get after that?
I would suggest the polished stainless series, they look good and sound even better. Below is the link to listen to the exhaust on numerous different cars, I'd say the Dodge Magnum 3.5L V6 would be the closest one to compare to our Montes, unless you have a V8. Give it a listen and see if you like it. I had MagnaFlow catback on my 94 Accord and I loved it. If I ever need to replace my DnyoMax SuperTurbo's I have on my Monte it'll be with MagnaFlows for sure.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04american.asp

Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM

I have the 5.3L V8 and on the web site it has a video of the Impala. Sounds ok, but not as loud as I expected. I want someting louder but not as loud as Flowmasters.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM

I have the 5.3L V8 and on the web site it has a video of the Impala. Sounds ok, but not as loud as I expected. I want someting louder but not as loud as Flowmasters.
keep in mind it will get louder as the packing breaks down. But if that's not loud enough for ya you might want to try maybe a different series Flowmaster besides the 40 series.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Hi Bwill314,
I have the same issue, Magnaflow looks good, but the sound seems almost like stock, not really that much loader. The Magnaflow exhaust cat back system comes with the resonator, I'm not sure why they don't give you the option of with or without, but if you put on a stainless steel pipe instead of the resonator that come with the Magnaflow system it will be the perfect sound for you, but again I'll just guessing here.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TonySS2007

Hi Bwill314,
I have the same issue, Magnaflow looks good, but the sound seems almost like stock, not really that much loader. The Magnaflow exhaust cat back system comes with the resonator, I'm not sure why they don't give you the option of with or without, but if you put on a stainless steel pipe instead of the resonator that come with the Magnaflow system it will be the perfect sound for you, but again I'll just guessing here.
I think you're right on the money here because when I had my custom magnaflow exhaust installed on my Accord, I had them install it without the resonator first to see how it sounded but it was way too loud for me so I had them put it on and it was perfect for me. It is a little on the quiet side though, which sits fine with me. But if I had a V8 like Bwill, I'd want it to sound a bit more agressive/deep, have a growl to it.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM

So I could get the Flowmasters with the resonator and get louder sound than the Magnaflows?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla??? 2006 SS