Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Project for 84 Monte

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Intake Project for 84 Monte

One of the modifications I am making to the 84 Monte before race season starts is removing the stock intake and replacing it with an Edelbrock RPM Performer dual plane intake. I will be having my current 600 cfm Edelbrock 4 bbl carb jetted up as soon as I get it taken off the car and cleaned up a bit. I spoke to the Edelbrock techs and told them what I have now, what I am going to do, what altitude I will be racing at the most, and I also told them I was running lean last season. They did what they do with their calculations and told me what I needed for jets and calibration for optimum performance for drag racing with my new set up.
I do not have my current set-up off the race car yet but I have started working on the new intake. I took pics of it after I cleaned it and scrubbed it(still looked nasty). Then after I hit it with high temp primer and then after I got the high temp paint on it. Before I put it on the car, I will be painting the raised lettering "Edelbrock" in red and the "RPM" and "Performer" in black.

Attached Thumbnails Intake Project for 84 Monte-intake-before.jpg   Intake Project for 84 Monte-intake-primered.jpg   Intake Project for 84 Monte-intake-painted.jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
One of the modifications I am making to the 84 Monte before race season starts is removing the stock intake and replacing it with an Edelbrock RPM Performer dual plane intake. I will be having my current 600 cfm Edelbrock 4 bbl carb jetted up as soon as I get it taken off the car and cleaned up a bit. I spoke to the Edelbrock techs and told them what I have now, what I am going to do, what altitude I will be racing at the most, and I also told them I was running lean last season. They did what they do with their calculations and told me what I needed for jets and calibration for optimum performance for drag racing with my new set up.
I do not have my current set-up off the race car yet but I have started working on the new intake. I took pics of it after I cleaned it and scrubbed it(still looked nasty). Then after I hit it with high temp primer and then after I got the high temp paint on it. Before I put it on the car, I will be painting the raised lettering "Edelbrock" in red and the "RPM" and "Performer" in black.

this looks great! will dress the engine up real good, do you need to do anything to the water inlet, Carb mount so everything seats properly or is it good to go. Most likely you will need to make more additions to make the engine really show off. Keep up the good work.
I attached a couple of small block chevy engine photos to check out.

Attached Thumbnails Intake Project for 84 Monte-show-engine1a.jpg   Intake Project for 84 Monte-show-engine2a.jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks. Water inlet and carb mount are good to go. Oh I will be making additions to making it look nicer under the hood. I am eliminating the ugly orange bypass hose that is on there now from what used to go to the heater core. I am customizing my air filter cover with an 84 monte trunk badge and sail panel crest. Any metal black parts will get a coat of gloss black enamel. I will also have new radiator hoses.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Barbara:

I would not have painted over the mating surfaces..
I more than likely would have taped them off before I shot any paint on it...
Just to assure a good seal between the carb as well as the gooseneck for the thermostat housing..
But that's just me..

Otherwise ...
Nice Job!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yeah. Mistake I didn't think about til I was done. I will have to go back and clean that off.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Additional work done on intake-Raised lettering

Did some more work on the intake tonight. Pretty happy with the results. Two coats of clear coat left to go and cleaning the paint from the mating surfaces and it will be done.

Attached Thumbnails Intake Project for 84 Monte-dscn3055.jpg   Intake Project for 84 Monte-dscn3058.jpg   Intake Project for 84 Monte-dscn3060.jpg  

Last edited by P343; 01-28-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Looking good Barbara!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks!! I ran out of stuff to paint tonight. My dog sits in one place too long she may wake up with racing stripes or something...LOL

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice touch!!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice! A little work always pays off

Search this Thread