Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Installing headers

Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Installing headers

i have just recently ordered my borla cat-back exhaust and am know looking into the headers and i was wondering how difficult would it be to install the headers my self. or is this something that you should go to a shop for. thanks in advanced for any info

Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Default RE: Installing headers

do it urself...do everything urself...ull be alot happier if ya do...just make sure u got a back up car cuz if u aint to hands on it could take a few dayz...i kno ive doen 6 diff sets of aftermarket headers....man ive had fun...the worst are fords...chevys are simple...a few hours if ur good... an dont have good tools..
borla is a good choice...

Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: djizzle

do it urself...do everything urself...ull be alot happier if ya do...just make sure u got a back up car cuz if u aint to hands on it could take a few dayz...i kno ive doen 6 diff sets of aftermarket headers....man ive had fun...the worst are fords...chevys are simple...a few hours if ur good... an dont have good tools..
borla is a good choice...
If your putting this much money down, I would recommend the exact opposite approach and have it installed professionally. First I would recommend "The Other Guys" (TOGs) headers. Now while you are doing this, you will want a 3" downpipe with a high flow cat and U-Bend delete and this is where the trick is.

While putting just the cat back on is easy, the downpipe is trickier. I rasied the rear of mine to put the downpipe under and changed my mind and tried the front. It just looked way too dangerous and had the whole thing installed at Merins for $70. I posted this at mymonte.com and a week later someone tried to do it themselves. Needless to say the jackstand kicked out - thankfully the person wasn't under the car - but it did take out their radiator and grill.

My thought is if you can afford a Borla, you can afford the safety and security of a professional job.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:20 PM

Thats the thing i got the borla dirt cheap off of ebay for $400 total shipped and since i got it that cheap i am able to get the headers now to but the headers are most likely going to be from 3800peformance.com or Partsforyourcar.com unless someone else can recomend another site. also how much would a professional intalation of the headers be. and if i were to do it myself would i have to pull the engine or not.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Damn! That's a nice price. Ebay would be a good place for headers too. Search for Grand Prix headers as well as they are interchangeable. Consult 3800performance to make sure they match.

If you are going to do it yourself it should go without saying, but make sure the area is perfectly flat, you use jack stands and wheel blocks. That should significatly increase your safety.

I am not sure what the cost of install would be at all.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 PM

is there any tricks to installing the exhasut or is common sense?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:23 AM

It's pretty much common sense, but your first step should be to purchase some Liquid Wrench because there is going to be some rust to deal with. You will also want your fair share of extentions and swivels because the bolts can be difficult to get to. The downpipe on is really deep when you go from the bottom of the vehicle. I would recommend Craftsman 3/8" or greater socket wrench, various sockets, a swivel, and the following extentions: 3", 6" and 12". You might even consider an 18" for the downpipe, but a 12 and 6 connected should work fine.

There should be 6 bolts on each exhaust manifold to take off from the block and you will need the gastkets as well. I beleive some clamps for the cross over pipe, and 2 bolts holding the downpipe.