Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

i'm sorry i'm new to monte carlos and this forum lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 10:37 PM
|

lol they are already sold 20003supersport

riggs, i am looking at those headers right now... i think i am going to go for the jugular and get headers, downpipe, cai, and tstat right off the bat followed by a nice tune... what do you guys think? i am looking to spend about a grand...

Old 05-15-2009 | 01:25 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

that sucks, must've sold them today.

there are plenty more out there just like that though. if you fish long enough, you'll catch a prize.

Old 05-15-2009 | 03:47 PM
|

i found some headers with a downpipe included http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=...607+11920+6866 right here... what do you guys think?

Old 05-15-2009 | 04:07 PM

See if you can find yourself a decent set of used 1.9:1 modded stock rockers, and consider dropping pulley sizes right before the tune. The rockers go used for about $175-$225, and I think are new for around $275 (well, they're not ever really new as they are modified stockers anyways). They're really easy to put on too.

Between the headers, pulley, cai, rockers, and tune you'll notice a 100% improvement in your car, and if you play your cards right you wouldn't spend the full $1000.

I really recommend a way to scan the car yourself to check for KR if you are dropping pulleys. Even if you're not dropping pulleys, it's nice to have. Scangauge II or an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge are really nice and can be mounted in the car so you can monitor for KR at all times. I did dual Aeroforce gauges as my first mod. They look really cool, and everyone that gets in my car compliments them.

Oh, and you're gonna want to pull your spark plugs when you put the headers on (you don't want to risk breaking off a plug while you're maneuvering the manifolds), so it would be as good of a time as any to upgrade the stock plugs.

Autolite copper core plugs are usually your best bet. They only usually cost about $1.79 each, so it's barely over $10 for the six of them (there's a rebate on those plugs right now too for 50cents off per plugs....good deal).
NGK's copper plugs will last a little longer, but people seem to have better luck with the Autolites.
You probably want to use Autolite 605's if you're sticking with the stock pulley, or use 104's if you drop down a few pulley sizes.

-Riggs.

Old 05-15-2009 | 04:31 PM
|

okay that sounds great, however i am not finding the right parts... i don't know if those headers will fit and then i am still without the cai...

Old 05-15-2009 | 04:33 PM

i found some headers with a downpipe included http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=...607+11920+6866 right here... what do you guys think?
Those are the Pacesetter headers. They will work.
They are known to both rust, and to leak very often though. ZZP used to modify these headers to not leak.
A lot of people run Pacesetters because they are cheap and have bigger primaries. Now that there are other cheap headers out there, less people are buying the pacesetters.
(Also - don't get the ones that you linked, as they are the pacesetters with the small primaries which defeats the purpose of running pacesetters).
If you really want to run pacesetters, just get them from the W-body store. They are $50 less than the parts train price. They will makes sure that you get everything that you need, and offer good customer support. I can't say the same about the customer service for the parts train place (I've never dealt with them, but some of the random internet places seem to sell the product and disappear if there are issues).

This link compares the different header styles available.
W-body store's header writeup. *Note that this doesn't include the ZZP headers in the comparison, and note that the SSautochrome headers are the same as the SLP headers. Also, they say that the Pacesetters come with a downpipe, which they do, but it still requires welding and it DOES NOT come with a catalytic converter.

The link for the SSautochrome headers that I posted are a stainless steel version of the ones that 2003supersport posted (SLP's), and I would say that they are a better bet than the pacesetters, but it is really up to you.

-Riggs.

Old 05-15-2009 | 04:38 PM
|
Old 05-15-2009 | 04:44 PM
|

nice so those will fit riggs? and that includes the downpipe right? that's perfect

Old 05-15-2009 | 05:09 PM

oka ythat sounds great, however i am not finding the right parts... i don't know if those headers will fit and then i am still without the cai...
What parts are you looking for that you cannot find?
Which headers do you not know will fit?
Any of the ones designed for the L67 engine will fit your car.
There are about 5 designs that will work, I listed them all. There are a few other brands that make copies of the Pacesetter design and the SLP design.
nice so those will fit riggs? and that includes the downpipe right? that's perfect
Both the pacesetter link that you posted, and the links that I posted will fit your car.
They all technically include a "downpipe", but on all of them you are going to have to have something welded.
The SLP and TOG designs weld up to your stock cat, and the pacesetter just bypasses the cat altogether.
Either way, it's your best bet to run an aftermarket cat if you have to run a cat for emissions purposes.
If you don't have to run a cat, then just have a piece of straight pipe welded in at an exhaust shop when you have the dowpipe welded together anyways.

If you are talking about the PartS Train headers, then seriously get the same headers from the W-body store. I posted a link in my last post. They are the exact same thing, except the W-body store is charging $50 less..

-Riggs.

Old 05-15-2009 | 06:02 PM
|

okay i am grabbing the headers from the w-body store i guess... and i will just get the wizaired cai