Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

HV3 Insert

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Default HV3 Insert

So on ZZP the HV3 intake insert seems to be one of the single greatest modifications for the N/A 3800, able to give you 30WHP at 6,000RPM. I'd really like to get this, except everyone claims there's a loss in low end torque...is there anyway to counter this loss in torque? People say it's a good idea to do the ER rockers and HV3 at the same time, do the rockers add back the Torque you would have lost? Also, they say the PCM needs to be re-tuned. Can I have this done at a shop? Or do I have to mail it into ZZP? This is my only car, and I can't afford having it undrivable for more than 1 day at a time.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's best to have someone do a street tune on your car (but it's only best if they are used to tuning 3800 engines)

If you get a canned PCM from someone like Overkill or ZZP, they will send you the PCM and if it works you can mail them your old one and then you don't lose any driveability. You just have to up-front the core charge.

The HV3 doesn't have as much loss of torque that the HV2 (previous version) had. In order to get your low-end back all you need to have is the supporting mods for the low-end of the car, such as your CAI / exhaust work, and a good tune that gives you more timing through the lower RPM band, and then the HV3 can help the upper RPM bands timing. The test car that showed the 30 HP jump already had the CAI, 180° thermo, downpipe, CAI, and ER Rockers. That's why I said you should do the HV3 when you do the ER Rockers, because then you don't have to pull the UIM twice, the rest of the supporting mods are all easily bolted on without even removing anything.

And remember, the 30 HP is very high in the RPM band, which means you aren't going to go from ~160 HP to ~190 HP, you are actually starting at ~135 HP and it will get you around 165, like when you are on the highway and slam on the throttle, you really don't go anywhere because the car falls flat on it's face when it's in the upper band. This just basically gives you back what you should have.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM

I like that a lot. A lot of the little races I do are on the highway, and I notice once the car is over 50MPH and you stomp on the pedal, the car loses its ability to throw you back in the seat like it can in lower speeds, it'd be nice to keep that through the higher RPM bands. But I didn't know that test car had so many other supporting mods...good thing all those mods were on my list anyway. Only dent in the plan is I have to replace my cracked winshield, which will cost me $220...that could have been the CAI right there.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM

15 Year Member

Also when you get the tune (which sounds like you will most likely get the canned PCM tune) You will change the shift points a little bit, so when you stomp on it you will do a skipped downshift and really feel some more kick.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM

And skipping downshifts is better for the tranny right? Because I think I heard that downshifting is the one of the tougher things on a tranny, where if you could skip one gear that's one less to mess with. And when you refer to the canned PCM is that like the 1.0 PCM that I see on 3800performance.com or zzp? I just don't want to have the same troubles what's her name with the 03 and 05 Monte's did when she installed it. Last question...do the ER rockers giver or take any torque?

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 08-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Default Hv3

If you do the hv3 go ahead and install a l26 aluminum uim while you have the plastic one off
much much better setup no leaks ever,

Attached Thumbnails HV3 Insert-1786547_9.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
And skipping downshifts is better for the tranny right? Because I think I heard that downshifting is the one of the tougher things on a tranny, where if you could skip one gear that's one less to mess with.
Skip downshifts are going to be hard on the car (but that's what modding does, it makes it hard on the car) you basically are doing 4>2 and 3>1 with that, but I'm talking about when you SLAM down the pedal that will happen. It's fun. And any harsh driving is going to be bad on your transmission.

And when you refer to the canned PCM is that like the 1.0 PCM that I see on 3800performance.com or zzp?
Those are the ones I'm talking about. Also check out http://www.getoverkilled.ca/L36CompProg.html

Just remember to do this PCM last, when you FINALLY have all the mods you want to put on that will require a tune because it's altering your air flow.

I just don't want to have the same troubles what's her name with the 03 and 05 Monte's did when she installed it.
Having an NA and not an 05 you really shouldn't have as many problems as Amy. The 05 Monte is the hardest to pull a canned tune for because they changed a few things about the PCM and BCM, but they will always work with you if you need something and can always drop your stock PCM back in until they fix the problem. If you have a CAI then it takes seconds to change your PCM.

Last question...do the ER rockers giver or take any torque?
ER Rockers don't give much low torque, maybe 1 or 2 pounds. But in the top-end they give good amounts.