Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Help needed with Edelbrock Air Filter on a 1977 305 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Skeletal Crow
I circled the two lines in red that I was referring to.
The large hose on the passenger side of the air cleaner housing is part of your pcv system. Most aftermarket air cleaners will come with an adapter that you mount to the bottom of the lower housing after removing a round piece of perforated metal that the hose attaches to. The vacuum hose on the snorkel is part of your air intake pre-heat circuit. It goes to a thermal activated sensor in the air cleaner housing - or - to a ported vacuum switch. Another vacuum hose runs from the sensor (or pvs) to a vacuum source on the carb or (usually) intake manifold. It controls the flap in the snorkel so that cold air is restricted and warmer air (from the exhaust manifold) mixes with the fuel during cold start. As the engine comes up to temp the sensor/pvs allows vacuum to the diaphram on the snorkel which opens the flap and allows cold air to reach the carb. You can do without the pre-heat circuit (unless it is required by emission laws) but the engine won't run as good when cold and you will probably notice a slight decline in mpg. To be honest, I wouldn't buy that particular air cleaner. It is a poor design and will create turbulance at the air horn of the carb. It has less surface area than your stock one and you won't see any kind of performance gain from it. You would be much better off with a round, open element design.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Zen, your Monte looks disrespectful, similar to that of mine but cleaner and actually gets those tires peeling. I was thinking of buying a goodwrench motor off of craigs and dropping it in, but I have to buy a crane and a stand. That's another thing, my neighbors have no problem helping but they only work with Honda's.... I'm the only one into Muscle cars that's my age in NYC that I know of. I'd have to learn how to do swaps on American vs Hondas. As for the air cleaner, you guys mean to tell me that
Redirect Notice
Comes with adapters to make it happen?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 AM

According to the Edelbrock web site 'The 10" and 14" models have knock-outs in the air cleaner base and include an adapter for crankcase ventilation.'

Edelbrock.com - ACCESSORIES - Air Cleaners - Pro-Flo

Old 12-18-2011, 04:49 PM

No offense man but if I were you, depending on what sort of mileage that 305 has, Do the basics. Get the open element air filter, Get some mid lenght or long tube headers, and have the pipes into the mufflers of your choice, dumps or out the back, get your carb tuned or rebuilt by a reputable carb shop. Thats as well as you'll do with that 305 that you can take with you if you ever upgrade to a 350 or larger. But from your difficulty installing an air filter, protect your car and engine from yourself. I think a swap might be over your head at this point. Get the haynes manual and study it. Again, not trying to offend, just some tough advice i didnt take when i started with mine a while back and now i'm finally up and running again.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Emnasty600
No offense man but if I were you, depending on what sort of mileage that 305 has, Do the basics. Get the open element air filter, Get some mid lenght or long tube headers, and have the pipes into the mufflers of your choice, dumps or out the back, get your carb tuned or rebuilt by a reputable carb shop. Thats as well as you'll do with that 305 that you can take with you if you ever upgrade to a 350 or larger. But from your difficulty installing an air filter, protect your car and engine from yourself. I think a swap might be over your head at this point. Get the haynes manual and study it. Again, not trying to offend, just some tough advice i didnt take when i started with mine a while back and now i'm finally up and running again.
Can go wrong reading up on every thing.If you know some one that is always wrenching on cars an knows what they are doing watch an help if you can.Hands on with some one who know what they're doing is the best way to learn.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by zenloser
Can go wrong reading up on every thing.If you know some one that is always wrenching on cars an knows what they are doing watch an help if you can.Hands on with some one who know what they're doing is the best way to learn.
I agree that hands on experience is invaluable, but professional training and instruction - which combines hands on and reading - insures that you don't pick up bad habits or practices along the way.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Flip your stock lid and call it a day!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Zen

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Flip your stock lid and call it a day!
Don't forget the K&N filter haha.
Be a while since I seen any one do that.Sad thing is that really works quite well on those engines

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Zen

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I agree that hands on experience is invaluable, but professional training and instruction - which combines hands on and reading - insures that you don't pick up bad habits or practices along the way.
There are some out there that have a lot of bad habbits or no common since when it comes to cars.
Too bad it cost so much to go to a good tech school just to work on cars for a hobbie.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM

I actually did go to a tech school, learned brakes, and welding then transferred before I got to the next semester which would have taught me how to do swaps and build motors, just my luck huh? haha I can't even do the simplest thing such as installing an aftermarket Edelbrock Air filter on my original 305 motor in that 77. I appreciate everyone's attempts, but I mean I just don't want to go to Autozone and buy it and then not be able to use it, I mean I can probably ask to see if I can return it but based on the replies you guys are giving the chances of me being able to do this sound slim to none I blame you guys on crushing my dreams! haha In all seriousness though it really sounds like it isn't worth the trouble if it improves MPG somewhat or showed some type of performance increase I would be all over it, but it seems like it's just for show.. Again I appreciate all of the help. I actually started a new thread in the engine section that you guys may want to check out. This may actually push me to actually go for a swap Zenloser, you may have some insight on this. Check it out if you can.

Quick Reply: Help needed with Edelbrock Air Filter on a 1977 305 Motor