Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Headers/Power Logs Questions

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Headers/Power Logs Questions

Hey guys, so I'm probably going to need a new cat soon, as thats what it sounds like. I'm thinking of getting this DP from ZZP: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=635&catid=110 ...now my question isss, is it possible to use the pacesetters headers on a 3.4L MC? It looks like it'd be the same configuration as the stock ones for the 3.4L. OR, should I just get the power logs that they have? What are power logs?

Here's the pacesetters:http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=598&catid=110

Here's the Power Logs: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=208&catid=110

I know I should stay away from the TOG headers since they probably wont fit right or anything like that. That ceramic coated crossover pipe is a definite on my list. Should I go for a front power log then a rear ported manifold?

Sorry guys, haha I'm kinda all over the place here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can't use those headers or the plog on your 3400. Those are 3800 specific, and just about any v6 product from ZZP is going to be 3800 specific. The d/p that you showed will work on your Monte, but it's expensive especially for the small gain that you would get from it. You need to go here for your exhaust needs:

http://wot-tech.com/shop/exhaust/cat_98.html

The only reason why TOG's wouldn't work for your car is because they are also 3800 specific. Otherwise, TOG's are one of the best headers that you can get for a 3800.

Also, usually headers come with a d/p so keep that in mind. A plog is a redesigned front exhaust manifold that ZZP made for the 3800 market. I'm glad you checked here first because the items that you were looking at will not work for your application (except for the d/p).

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Well, I found a DP from summit racing that's 174 shipped. Since I most likely need a new cat, why not just replace it anyways and get rid of that u-bend? Ya know? Killing two birds with one stone here. Thanks for info about the Power Logs. I really didn't know what they did, as in like i wasnt sure if that was for a special purpose. I've been reading and some people have some pace setter on their 3.4L ...I can find a link to that if you'd like...is there no other options available for the 3.4L besides ported manifolds? Well, besides having custom ones made and having a huge bank for that haha. Headers are in the future. I plan on getting that DP, then having an exhaust shop hook up a Y pipe and split into duals with flowmaster super 40's (they sound great on the LA1's)...Hopefully I can get it all done for $200. Install DP for $50 then just do the pipe and flowmaster and the rest for $150

Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is kind of explaining the plog a little more, but a plog is somewhere inbetween the performance of stock exhaust manifolds and headers. It's not quite as good as headers but it is better then stock exhaust manifolds. A lot of guys that run turbos like to run plogs. It all depends on what someone wants to do with their car. IMO, unless someone is going turbo then they should just go with headers. They're not that much more expensive then the plog.

As far as a link for Pacesetter headers for a 3400, I already provided that for you in my last post (see above). Admittedly, they are for N-body cars but I expect that they would work on a Monte with little to no modifications. The problem that I have with Pacesetter is that usually the quality of their welds are usually poor and often times they need to be repaired even before installation. Sometimes though Pacesetter does a good job, but not always.

It sounds like you've got some good plans. You can't go wrong looks wise with dual exhaust. Our Monte's look complete with them and you'll love it when you get the work done. Whenever I see a Monte LS with the single exhaust I just feel like it's incomplete so, I'm glad you're doing something about that.

Have fun with the Monte. Starting out with exhaust work is a good first step to improving performance. An L67 swap is even better

Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
An L67 swap is even better
Thankyou and diddo on that my friend!

There are 99-05 Grand AM pacesetter headers here that are for grand am and similar vehicles. I'm guessing that "similar vehicles" is screaming monte carlo LS since we pretty much have the same engine haha. So I guess that would be in the future . I dont have any supporting mods that'll make THAT much gas flow out, so headers right now arent needed but always good to know.

I too, look at Monte Carlo's in general and just want to slap these people and take their keys away. Seriously, it hurts to see what shape they are in. :'(