Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fluid leak but where...vid inlcuded

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fluid leak but where...vid inlcuded

i came outside to fix a flat tire that i got late last night, was also trying to check out ma suspension on that side. well i found what seems to be dexcool all over the place from time to time i have to put more in the radiator this may be why, but where is this leaking from? heres a vid

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If its power steering fluid it has a distinct smell to it...

However if its dexcool...It could be the coolant elbows....

they are on the passengerside of the car... and go in to the tensioner.

What motor is in your Monte Carlo? Also how many miles are on it?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
If its power steering fluid it has a distinct smell to it...

However if its dexcool...It could be the coolant elbows....

they are on the passengerside of the car... and go in to the tensioner.

What motor is in your Monte Carlo? Also how many miles are on it?
i wasnt sure if power steering fluid was that color or not, but one of my coolant elbows (the top one you could see from altenator) has orange susbstance not fluid on it. i have the 3.8 engine and just over 98200 miles

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM

5 Year Member

Since these 3.8 motors are notorious for coolant elbow failures...via cracks,and crumbleing.... I would say that's definitely the issue!

Dormans seem to be the elbow of choice...That you can get at your local auto parts...Its not recommended to get them from the dealer....Once the O-ring starts to fail ... The DexCool when it hasn't been serviced (Changed) on a regular schedule...it tends to turn to like an acid...as it breaks down...
General rule of thumb..is to flush/change your coolant every 2 years....

Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member

Since these 3.8 motors are notorious for coolant elbow failures...via cracks,and crumbleing.... I would say that's definitely the issue!

Dormans seem to be the elbow of choice...That you can get at your local auto parts...Its not recommended to get them from the dealer....Once the O-ring starts to fail ... The DexCool when it hasn't been serviced (Changed) on a regular schedule...it tends to turn to like an acid...as it breaks down...
General rule of thumb..is to flush/change your coolant every 2 years....
yup i was gonna look for the aluminum ones...also i want to flush it and replace with the green coolant

Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Fix, the "orange" substance you might be seeing on the coolant elbow, could be the old Dex (drying up) or the O-rings are commonly orange, it could be an O-ring pushing out.

Start with changing the elbows.

David, it's actually the plastic Dorman elbows that have caused problems (they had a bad run with O-rings too thin, allowing the elbow to push out). I fell pray to that problem (pre-dating the aluminum elbows Dorman now makes). Mine were changed when i did all my upper engine mods one spring, parked the car for the winter, first drive the following spring and she dumped her coolant out due to an elbow pushing out. I read this was common from Dorman elbows. I replaced the $5 pair with $30 genuine GM. Yes, the GM elbows are cased differently and so far working perfectly. I have yet to hear the issues about the aluminum elbows (those seem to be perfect).

As for changing Dex to green stuff, it really does not matter. Dex, like the green stuff, properly maintained and flushed once in a while is of no greater or less harm then the green stuff. All depends how much work you want to put into the flush.

But I would replace the coolant elbows first, that is clearly Dex and you are in the area of the elbows (quick and cheap fix).

Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Fix, the "orange" substance you might be seeing on the coolant elbow, could be the old Dex (drying up) or the O-rings are commonly orange, it could be an O-ring pushing out.

Start with changing the elbows.

David, it's actually the plastic Dorman elbows that have caused problems (they had a bad run with O-rings too thin, allowing the elbow to push out). I fell pray to that problem (pre-dating the aluminum elbows Dorman now makes). Mine were changed when i did all my upper engine mods one spring, parked the car for the winter, first drive the following spring and she dumped her coolant out due to an elbow pushing out. I read this was common from Dorman elbows. I replaced the $5 pair with $30 genuine GM. Yes, the GM elbows are cased differently and so far working perfectly. I have yet to hear the issues about the aluminum elbows (those seem to be perfect).

As for changing Dex to green stuff, it really does not matter. Dex, like the green stuff, properly maintained and flushed once in a while is of no greater or less harm then the green stuff. All depends how much work you want to put into the flush.

But I would replace the coolant elbows first, that is clearly Dex and you are in the area of the elbows (quick and cheap fix).

Great insite..I heard there are 2. I might be able to reach the top one without movin stuff but where is the second one? I also heard this is easy...if I can do I wheel hub I'm sure I can tackle this as well....I suspected this could he an issue as well. My research begins

Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM

5 Year Member

Heres a video that may help you out...

Its not a MonteCarlo....But it is a 3.8 ...3800 its basically the same process to change the elbows!

Link:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48705608,d.aWc

Thanks Jason for the Clarification!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-08-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Heres a video that may help you out...

Its not a MonteCarlo....But it is a 3.8 ...3800 its basically the same process to change the elbows!

Link:
How to Fix Coolant Leak Belt Tensioner GM 3.8L 3800

Thanks Jason for the Clarification!
Hey, David Your LINK isn't working..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-08-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member

very good video i must say thank goodness we have the internet for things

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Fluid leak but where...vid inlcuded