Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flexible tubing intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
the wall inside is not as smooth as the pcv or other after market tubing, but it's way better than stocker for sure.
here's what i said ^^^^^^

Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Ryan, I don't think ANYONE EVER said your setup was in ANY WAY a bad setup! It's a GREAT setup! Especially for what you have into it! But I don't think anyone can argue the point that a totally smooth tube will flow better than a flexible intake of the same diameter. It's a friction thing. Your system is WAY better than stock, and honestly, flows probably all the air your engine needs.
I still believe though that IF you were to do a good dyno test comparing smooth vs flexible, the smooth would make better HP every time. Maybe small amounts, but better.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
Ryan, I don't think ANYONE EVER said your setup was in ANY WAY a bad setup! It's a GREAT setup! Especially for what you have into it! But I don't think anyone can argue the point that a totally smooth tube will flow better than a flexible intake of the same diameter. It's a friction thing. Your system is WAY better than stock, and honestly, flows probably all the air your engine needs.
I still believe though that IF you were to do a good dyno test comparing smooth vs flexible, the smooth would make better HP every time. Maybe small amounts, but better.
everybody know that the smooth tube will always flow better than the corregated tube. the point i was trying to make is you can go cheap and make it works. the end!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I dont think anyone said that it wouldnt work. It just wont flow as well as smooth tubing. Im pretty sure we are all on the same page here.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM

im probably going to just buy the FWI from intense for the 100 bucks

Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM

btw where did i said tube with ridge on the inside flow better than smooth tube???
You said you totally disagree with a lot of the responses, and the only real point argued above that was that it doesn't flow as well as smooth tube. I didn't say that you said it flowed better- I guess I was just confused what you disagreed with, and was stating that the internal flow vs smooth tube is always going to be a downside to flexible tubing, thats all.

all i refer to is the tube is not as bad as some people saying they are.
There are a lot of different types of flexible tubing though, and the flexible tubing sold by one company may be much smoother inside than that sold by another company (or compared to the stuff sold at hardware stores).

There are 3 main things that dictate flow through a pipe/tube:

-diameter (which is pretty much dictated for you by your TB and filter size)
-interal roughness
-bends

All I was saying was that the flexible tubing is bad for both of the bottom two things, thats all.

Im pretty sure we are all on the same page here.
x2

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
You said you totally disagree with a lot of the responses,
i said i totally disagree with SOME of YOU, that mean couple of you. anyway bum i'm not going to argue with you over who's right. i guess i should explain clearly on my statement first for confusing you my fault. i was more focusing on that you can make the tube work like any fwi without spending alot of $$$. im cool here. peace!!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM

so if i were to buy tubing where should i buy it from a home depot or something. And what specifications would i have to check before i buy it.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

home depot doesn't sell the corrugated tube. i got mine from intense, wbody store and zzp also have them too. you need about 3.5'' to 4' long and also get the short stainless duct tube to connect from the filter to the tube so the filter won't fly out like bum mentioned. 3 ring clamps size 3.5" to 4" and iat harness.

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...ness-p-65.html

Last edited by nemesis; 10-05-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM

home depot doesn't sell the corrugated tube.
Really? The local hardware stores around here do (menards, lowes, etc)- in the lawn and garden section. Although I have seen both Intense's "smooth wall" and the stuff from the hardware, and I'll tell you that the hardware store's ridges are a good deal bigger than the stuff Intense sells (granted that was like 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm sure they still sell the same stuff). From what I remember, the stuff from the hardware was a good bit cheaper than what intense was charging though.

Quick Reply: Flexible tubing intake?