Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

First Time Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Default First Time Modifications

I recently bought a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with a 3800 V6 engine.I was going to start with the exhaust system but am on a budget. What would be best place to start.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: First Time Modifications

how much of a budget? the 3 main things to do are

1. high flow cat
2. resonator delete (usually 25 bucks at a muffler shop)
3. flowmaster or magnaflow or something of the sort mufflers.

there ya go

Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

do those cars have a u-bend?? if so get rid of it

and a cold air intake as well, you can make your own for fairly cheap

Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 PM

no sir josh they dont

Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info, now i have another question. What is the difference between a center inlet and an offset inlet? And what is the difference between single and dual outlet? and my last dumb question is since i have dual exhaust do i need to buy two mufflers ?

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-29-2007, 05:30 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: exploitedyouth18

Thanks for the info, now i have another question. What is the difference between a center inlet and an offset inlet? And what is the difference between single and dual outlet? and my last dumb question is since i have dual exhaust do i need to buy two mufflers ?

Thanks
Chris
[/align]

Hi Chris, & Welcome to the MCF
Post some pic's of your Monte Carlo.
Below are the type of outlet's on Mufflers.
If you have two bad mufflers, & want to replace them, then check sites
for the type of muffler that you desire that's fits your Monte Carlo.
Good Luck,
`Space
Description

Center Inlet / Center Outlet

[/align]

Center Inlet / Dual Outlet

[/align]

Center Inlet / Offset Outlet

[/align]

Dual Inlet / Center Outlet

Ships between 07/31/2007 - 08/01/2007
[/align]

Dual Inlet / Dual Outlet

Ships between 07/31/2007 - 08/01/2007
[/align]

Offset Inlet / Center Outlet

[/align]

Offset Inlet / Dual Outlet

[/align]

Offset Inlet / Opposite Side Offset Outlet [align=center][/align]

Old 07-29-2007, 05:48 AM

[align=center]Hi Chris,[/align][align=center]Below is link to [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Type in your search engine, your year/model Monte Carlo,[/align][align=center]and keep searching, and you shall find : )[/align][align=center]I click every link I can find....I search, and I learn.[/align][align=center]Good Luck 2 U, `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Ah, Summer time... Hot Beaches, Sunshine, BBQ’s and even Hotter Cars!
Be on the look out for a kid named `SpaceRider on your highways of life.
Flowmaster is paying our Tribute to the Cars (and Trucks!) of Summer with the Super 44 Days of Summer giveaway!

Starting July 27th 2007 to September 8th 2007, Flowmaster is giving away 44 Pairs of Super 44 Mufflers in 44 Days! Sign up now for your chance to WIN!

Flowmaster’s new Super 44™ muffler offers distinct advantages and dramatic power & torque increases over our original 40 Series™ muffler. Using the technology seen in our larger Super 40™ mufflers, the Super 44’s™ deliver a rich deep tone with its improved Flow Path Radius, optimum internal flow and sound control engineering.

The Super 44’s™ are designed for use on modified street machines, drifters, muscle cars, and sport trucks when builders need Flowmaster’s dynamic sound, torque and horsepower improvements in a smaller, high performance muffler.

Click Here for more information on the Super 44 muffler.

Official Rules

You only need to register once to be eligible!

[:-][/align][align=center][:-]Click below link to read about Flowmasters [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/[/align]

Old 07-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

personally i don't like flowmasters sound that much. i 've heard some good sounding flowmasters, and i've heard others that just simply sounded like crap. be careful which series flowmaster you buy if htats the way you go. i believed until just the other day that a flowmaster could only sound good on a V8. a friend of mines firebird with a 3400 came up to me at a gas station and told me to come listen to his flowmasters... WOW it sounded great. i didn't catch which series he used though. if i find out i'll post. some flowmasters sound about like a straight pipe, and some sound pretty good so be careful.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Probably the best would be muffler swap to whatever and a CAI. The CAI would be the better money because the exhausts actually flow pretty good; the bottleneck is on the intake.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 AM

mods i would do, and in this order:
-cold air intake (FWI)
-Cat back exhaust system 2.5" dia and a single in dual out muffler... this will decrease weight of the car too.
-nice set of tires with good grip. go for a wider tire then the stock 225's im runing 245's and its perfict.
-rockers maybe 1.8's
-Ported TB
-ZZP's Powerlog exhaust manifolds
-either a camaro 3800 intake manifold or a velocity incert by ZZP

Ok thats enough go fast mods....time for the other must do mods....
-Strut tower brace. these dollar per gain are prob the best mod out there. it will really make the car much more responsive.
-weight reduction.... im not saying pull door panels and seats... just empty out the junk in the car... its amazing how fast it all adds up. it takes on adverage about 15hp to acount for 100lbs also makes about .1th sec in quarter mile
-stiffer engine mounts. secures the motor and transimist more power to the ground.
-brakes... good pads (ceramic will damage rotors fast) stock rotors are much better then most people think. a good set of pads and fresh fluid will out perform drilled and slotted rotors any day. the only benifit to the fancy rotors are looks and if you are at the track they are supposed to cool off faster... but they also are weaker brakes in longevity and stopping power. this is due to less surface area.
-general maintenace. if your not taking care of the car, then DONT do mods. any mods will decrease the life of the motor and trans. if the car isnt in perfict shape things will go down very fast.

many of us car forum guys have been described as car hypocondriacts. this is pretty much the truth. yes we freak out about every little sound or vibration, but it is also true that our cars are some of the best maintained out there.

me for ex, my car is 11 years old, 175,000 miles and it is on its original motor. and its still runing strong, about 1 full sec faster in the quarter mile then stock, and getting much better gas milage then stock too! 2-3 mpg better for both city and HW