Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Downpipe - Who's done it that can help?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Downpipe - Who's done it that can help?

Greetings,

I was fortunate to get a new downpipe from ZZP on Friday for a very good price.

While I wait for the pipe to arrive, I tried to take the bolts (nuts) off of the front gasket (where the manifold meets the downpipe) but the bloody things wont move. I used WD40 and tried my damnedest but there just isn't enough room to get really good leverage.

My question is, for those who have removed this piece, how did you go about it? Above through the back of the engine or below, what tools (specifics would be nice) did you use, etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I would get a good penetrating oil like PB blaster, I don't think WD40 is gonna cut it. Spray it up really good for a few days. Also I think you'll be better of getting it from the bottom. A bit of heat may help too. Worst case scenario take it to a shop and have them loosen it for you

Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 PM

I had mine done at a local shop but I just did my buddies last weekend. He has a lift in his garage (made it waaaay easier) and we soaked the bolts in PB blaster days before removing them so it would be easier. We had problems with hand tools so we went over to Lowes and got a $59 (markdown sale) 2 gal air compressor and an air gun with extensions and a couple of seconds on each bolts worked. Glad he let me keep the compressor and hose! lol. The little 2 gal air compressor runs out of air so fast lol I couldnt inflate my truck tire at 40psi without having to let it catch up but it works great for air tools.

Edit: After you install it run open downpipe and see how badaz$ it sounds! I run open downpipe all the time and when I want to show off I remove the brake booster line and it sounds like I have a huge cam lol. Definately gets a lot of attention but be aware if you remove your brake booster and drive your brakes will be hard to press so dont show off and speed (im use to it)

Last edited by DRuben; 11-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

PB blaster is better than wd40 & air tool do make things alot easier, id soak the bolts & by the time the downpipe gets to ya they should break free

Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member

This MC is my daily driver. Should I soak the bolts every day after the car cools a bit or are you suggesting that I soak them and not run the car (which cannot happen).

Thanks for the replies so far!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shandley
This MC is my daily driver. Should I soak the bolts every day after the car cools a bit or are you suggesting that I soak them and not run the car (which cannot happen).

Thanks for the replies so far!
i sprayed mine with PB blaster and a few minutes later they broke lose real easily its easier to do it from under the car, just put my monte on ramps and used a breaker bar with a couple of extensions :p

Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member

Excellent! Now all I have to do is go and get some ramps.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shandley
Excellent! Now all I have to do is go and get some ramps.

Thanks!
let us know how it goes man goodluck

Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Prior to doing ANY work, I hit the bolts on the rear exhaust manifold with PB Blaster a couple of times. The rear flange of my DP was not an issue as earlier in the year, that was separated to replace a failed gasket inbetween those flanges (and was now just a simple nut/bolt setup).

I jacked the front end of the Monte in the air and lowered it on some "boxes" (admittedly, it would have been nicer to be up another inch or two). All work was done underneath. With a ratchet, a couple of socket extensions, I had a pretty clear shot at the nuts holding the DP to the rear manifold. I also had something to support the DP and prevent it from "free floating" and causing undo stress on parts.

My install was fairly quick and easy. BUT, my Monte had less then 60,000 miles, it was an '04, this was done in '10 and the car has not been on the Winter roads since my purchasing of it in September of 2008.

Also, I purchased the O2 extension. I did not need it. ZZP credited me when I sent my stock DP back.

Below is the page about my ZZP DP install:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - ZZP Downpipe

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM

You could also take the dogbones off and use a ratchet strap to pull the engine far enough forward to reach the bolts from the top.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downpipe - Who's done it that can help?