Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Coolant coming from throttle body/intake on 96 z34

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM

i have 2002 monte carlo ss 3.8 i have the same problem could it be related to the throttle body.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You probably have a leaking LIM gasket in your 3.8L.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Unhappy

dang. i have the same problem with the coolant coming right next to the throttle body. i had been told it was the UIM, and i just planned on getting the HV3 and the intake manifold gasket. but if it is the LIM what is it that i have to do?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by sotmelo
dang. i have the same problem with the coolant coming right next to the throttle body. i had been told it was the UIM, and i just planned on getting the HV3 and the intake manifold gasket. but if it is the LIM what is it that i have to do?
what is the HV3

Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The HV3 is a high volocity air intake insert...

If leaking from the throttle body, its VERY possible its just your UIM gasket...But I would also check and make sure that your LIM gasket is ok then. Because the 3.8L is good for having leaking LIM gaskets, and if your UIM gasket is leaking, I would be suspicious the LIM COULD be leaking as well. Just check them both.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 AM

I forgot to reply to this to say i got everything back together and the Throttle body gasket was the culprit, took a little while to get all the coolant out of the block so it was blowing white smoke for a good 20 minutes, the oil and coolant level is fine and the oil doesn't appear to have coolant in it. I'm going to be doing a oil change soon anyways just to be on the safe side.

Unfortunately the tune up didn't fix my issue and i'm begining to think it may be a faulty Fuel pump or something.

I went out to start my car on a really cold night the other day and it wouldn't start (checked to see if there was any fuel pressure at the fuel rail and nothing came out) it's possible the gas line froze but i've also been having issues where the car will almost die while I'm driving it (i press the gas and it just slows down and eventually the lights will dim and it will sputter, if i get to a side street and keep it going it'll be fine again.)

Also has issues starting in the cold (start it up then it'll die then i start it again and it's fine, takes a few cranks from the starter too...)

I went through and did pretty much a complete tune up (unfortuantly days after i did that we had freezing rain and i slid into a stop sign and busted up my driver side headlight and dented the fender, nothing too bad...)

New spark plugs, wires, ignition coils, oil change, coolant flush ect.

It's more or less a hunch but I'm not really sure and i don't want to have to pull the gas tank just to find out it's not the issue (my gas gauge moves alot when i stop and go so at least i can fix that while I'm at it too...)