Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake Materials

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Cold Air Intake Materials

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__BONNEVILLE-IMPALA-MONTE-CARLO-3-8-AIR-INTAKE-2000-2005_W0QQitemZ370086347432QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Acce ssoriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20Acc essoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em370086347432&_trkparms=72%3A543|39%3A1|65%3A 12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ebayphotoh osting

I ordered that, think i need to heat shield it?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Enzo354

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...parms=72%3A543|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m2 45#ebayphotohosting

YES you need a heat shield

IMO though you should of just bought the stuff seperate, I started by buying basically the same thing you did and now i do not use any part of that intake.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Would it be easier just to get the sillicon tube, or can i just wrap a shield around it?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 AM

Yes- or I wouldn't even bother putting it on. Underhood temps are bad enough as it is- but that kit makes it worse because you're going to get fan wash of hot air from the radiator (~200*F), not to mention the filter is less than a foot from the exhaust crossover (which is obviously extremely hot).I wouldn't be suprised if that kit doubled your IAT's.

You're going to end up having to build a cold air intake box for a heat shield:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

Which basically blocks it off so the filter only sucks from behind the headlight- just like stock did.

Or, toss the other pieces in the garbage- keep the filter, and go to the hardware and get some flexible tubing- and run it into the fenderwell.

Would it be easier just to get the sillicon tube, or can i just wrap a shield around it?
I don't understand what you mean by wrapping a shield around it- you need to make it so that the filter cannot suck in hot engine bay air at all- it needs to be physically separated from the rest of the engine bay by either a wall of some sort- or the fender opening.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Ugh, ill prob just run it farther over. Kinda just wish i could cancel my order haha.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: lakeman_21

Well if intakes are a "complete waste" I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be the HUGE industry there is for them. I am pretty sure your stock intake is not better then a cold air or a K&N. Any stock intake is a whole lot more restrictive, the box, the tubing, the FILTER. Everything is more constrictive in a stock intake, and does not flow as good as it could. One of the biggest and simplest things you can do for your engine is to help it breathe easier.

Anyways, today I talked to a couple of buddies and looked around i think im gonna use metal piping and reinforced silicone to do my intake. For the metal I'll use some sort of wrap to shield it from the heat I think, I dont know there are several out there, I'm still looking around.
Well I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but what is the job of aftermarket, priority one?
Sure there are poorly designed intakes in existence, but much more rare today then of yore.

One have you done any flow tests, data logging etc?
If you haven't, you've been sold of semi solid advertising of these systems.
K&N likes to show one of their filters push a ball higher in the air than a stock or other one.
How? They find that air flow that the K&N is capable of the other do not. Impressive isn't it?
The only problem is your motor will never inhale that amount of air, not even close.
Every filter given out stock will flow at least 2 times minimum the requirements of your motor. Whats 3 gonna do.
Like with my 04, the stock setup, no major bends, no major anything to impede. It pulls the ait in from the side of the headlight and is fairly sealed doing so.
So I'm to buy a K&N setup that has a heat shield that sits BEHIND the headlight and core support and is not sealed to the front.
Ever figure out how much air your engine uses???
Ever think about the volumes size?
Know anything about resistance?
Want more?
So the great flowing K&N is pulling so-called more air, not sealed to pull in ambient air and since the air behind the core support is easier to draw resistance wise than through the headlight hole, well.
Try data logging to see a air flow versus TPS positional difference and while your air it compare the IAT temps.
I have and so have others.
Trucks show with Stacy also AIRED such a episode.
They have a F150, dynoed before.
Added a K&N setup and did it again-NO DIFFERENCE
They ran it again with the hood open, and gained 3 h.p.
So he ducted through the inner fender and ended up 2 h.p. and said it could be due to a clean filter, but it sure looks good.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:20 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

^^ Weird.

So i put on the filter, needs more adjusting, but i drove it. Gas mileage was a bit better, by like .5 mpg ish. Ait wasnt too hot to touch after 1 hr of driving at all, mabye warm, but no way hot. Also, the biggest plus, the sound, easily. Makes it have a v8 sound, my friends dont say it sounds like a wind up toy any more.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Weird is the amount of people totally defying common sense type logic that also have means of proving or disproving a ideal with accurate measuring tools.
The aftermarket LOVES YOU.
They don't have to come up with anything that really works, but can sell you $10 worth of parts for hundreds more.

If your doing such for show type looks then no one would argue the case.
But looking for performance gains from such nonsense as CAI, cat backs, hand held programmers, MAF's, throttle body spacers and the list could go on your completely nuts. Best case scenario would be a couple of ponies tops, but for performance versus cost, you lose big time.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Ait wasnt too hot to touch after 1 hr of driving at all, mabye warm, but no way hot.
Its irrelevant how hot it is to the touch once you open the hood. What does matter are the actual intake air temperatures that the engine is seeing. Obviously it would rather have the sub 100* air from outside rather than the 150*+ air under the hood.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Well for $25 it looks good, and it sounds better. Obviously its a little better because its taking in more air then from the lil 3 in diameter hole in the front of the stock box. Im not rly going for HP, but something that feels and runs better, and it helps.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Materials