Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake Materials

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake Materials

Obviously its a little better because its taking in more air then from the lil 3 in diameter hole in the front of the stock box.
Its not obvious that that is a better way to go. More airflow with way higher inlet temps doesn't garauntee more power- it could go either way depending on ambient temp and vehicle speed.

I'd personally spend the extra $20-30 and do it right (ie build a CAI box or run it to the fenderwell)- so you get the same cold temps as stock along with the higher airflow.

I guess I just don't see the sense in doing performance mods if you end up where you started power wise, but thats just me.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Enzo354

Well for $25 it looks good, and it sounds better. Obviously its a little better because its taking in more air then from the lil 3 in diameter hole in the front of the stock box. Im not rly going for HP, but something that feels and runs better, and it helps.

Looks good is then its worth the hassle.
Performance again is zip and entertaining after reading about the wizard.

The Wizard is identical to 2 other real type CAI kits offered.
Ever really read the data they give.
Funny how against a stock air box and filter, air breathing gains are less than 3% better.
If you do calculate the data given, it equates to 6 h.p. to the minus side
Then against the competition those numbers inflate to over 20% better than the data they gave against the stock box. And h.p. increase proportionally to the new data.
All I can say is WOW!!!! One minute it flows 22.3 lbs a minute against a stock box then in the next instance 29+ lbs per minute when its against competition of other aftermarket ones.
Is it the magic of the system or key board.
Anyway going on the against stock numbers which would reflect pretty dam close in accuracy, lets add in a aftermarket filter.
The stock filter does hamper, that I won't debate and I would bet that with a aftermarket filter we'd be exact in numbers for flow. But it doesn't look as good as the Wizard.

That "3 lil hole comment is without any merit.
What size is the throttle bore?
MAF inlet
Tube size before etc?

Now has anybody quantified the knowns negatives of doing such?
Its been proven by many a qualified source that the oils used on such filters does release and end up coating/insulating the MAF wires. GM can and will deny a MAF and certain 02 sensor problems if found that the user is using a oiled filter.
Now why doesn't these CAI companies then us AEM dry flow ones?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So your talking about puttin a hole in the inside of the fender well?? I live on gravel, so this wouldnt work too well.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 PM

So your talking about puttin a hole in the inside of the fender well?? I live on gravel, so this wouldnt work too well.
I said two things- one is to build a box which restrcits intake air to that behind the headlight like stock, or put the entire filter in the fenderwell (not just cut a hole).

Living on a gravel road shouldn't makea bit of difference- you know you've got plastic inner fenders that make up your actual wheel well, so your fenderwell isn't directly open to your wheels or anything like that.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have been watching this conversation since I started the topic. My thoughts are that cold air intakes are a positive gain for our cars. Lower intake temps with more flow equals more horsepower. It may only be few horsepower, but it is more. I am not a fan of the short ram intakes you can get off of ebay as they do increase air tempatures. I would extendthe intake into the fender well. I have never had a problem with it in the fender well. That is what makes modifying a car great. Modify it for what you want not what others think. Take their advice and way against what you want your outcome to be and then make a decision. If you only want to have it sound better then a short ram will work fine. If you want performane then you need a true cold air set up in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM

for those of you who have done custom intakes please take pictures and post them. especially fenderwell intakes. thats what I wanna do but i would like to see one first.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:57 AM

here is a post that discussed this same topic not to long ago. and it even has some ideas of some fenderwell intakes.
https://montecarloforum.com/m_92084/..._/tm.htm#92934

Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 AM

I've figured it out and it remedies every problem out there.
Lowes will be all you need other than maybe like Summit racing.
Alot of this won't need to be purchased since Lowes has scrap pieces they'll give you for free.
Plywood, really any thickness.
With this you build a box that runs in the front drivers side corner of the front end.
This box will go across diagonal so that it'll allow air from behind the headlight and the fenderwell.
The only difference between this and 2 other cold air setups is that just inside the front edge of this you put in like a sub woofer box brace with a rectangle hole for the largest K&N you can get your hands on.
Internally to fight any heat, any foil faced insulation you can get.
It can be stained, texture painted, painted, fiber glassed over to give it any appearance you would like.
You can even add a Plexiglas top if you like, because even with wood you want to screw the top piece into place so that you can remove the filter for cleaning.

Now instead of using that same old smaller pipe section to the TB every kit has, that still has the same pressure problem etc you get a 6-8-10 piece of PVC pipe. A rubber sewer connection reducer is used to adapt it to the air box and the TB inlet, along with a clamp.
Be sure you trim the length of that sewer connector on the end that connects to the TB. You want it so that there is no taper allowed before the TB entrance face, this way you have no restriction point of any kinda allowing for maximum air to enter.

Couple of clamps, some plastic paint for the connector and PVC.

I know a few will ask how do I get the other end to connect to the flat side of the box.
Simple, use a hole saw/jig saw and cut a hole into the box at the correct point. This sewer connector can be tacked in, glued in etc.

Prices should range starting at around $69 and go higher as fancier finishes are applied.

More ambient air than even a 454 Blown could ask for.
Large filter area for no pressure change.
Larger TB connection pipe so no drop in allowance there like with ALL the other systems.
Can look very wild and is up to you.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: JD87SS

Looks good is then its worth the hassle.
Performance again is zip and entertaining after reading about the wizard.

The Wizard is identical to 2 other real type CAI kits offered.
Ever really read the data they give.
Funny how against a stock air box and filter, air breathing gains are less than 3% better.
If you do calculate the data given, it equates to 6 h.p. to the minus side
Then against the competition those numbers inflate to over 20% better than the data they gave against the stock box. And h.p. increase proportionally to the new data.
All I can say is WOW!!!! One minute it flows 22.3 lbs a minute against a stock box then in the next instance 29+ lbs per minute when its against competition of other aftermarket ones.
Is it the magic of the system or key board.
Anyway going on the against stock numbers which would reflect pretty dam close in accuracy, lets add in a aftermarket filter.
The stock filter does hamper, that I won't debate and I would bet that with a aftermarket filter we'd be exact in numbers for flow. But it doesn't look as good as the Wizard.
Just need to chime in here, especially after all the bashing on the aftermarket equipment. When I first started modding the first thing I did was get a Wizaird CAI. I had a coupon from a local raceway for a new dyno shop that opened and we dynoed my car stock - 193 HP. Then with the Wizaird 201 HP.

I also keep a journal of my fuel usage and found a .4 mpg improvement.

So I am going to give that a thumbs up that the CAI is a good investment.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Despite your sarcasm JD87SS, you are partially correct in that all you need for a good, cheap intake is Lowes and Summit. All you really need isa decent size K&N cone and mount it in the fenderwell- and connect that to the throttle body with flexible tubing from the hardware. Some also use that plastic roof flashing to make sure the hot engine bay air isn't going into the fender- but its still all pretty cheap regardless.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Materials