Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cheap exhaust, maximum horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default Cheap exhaust, maximum horsepower

My friend has a 2000 mustang gt and I really want to get as much power into my 2004 ss supercharged so that I can beat him, but I'm not trying to go broke. So any cheap suggestions for exhaust to add hp would be appreciated. My custom parts that I already have include a K&N cold air intake and a duraflex spyder 3 hood.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I'd recommend Speed Daddy headers if you want cheap, they go for around $200 new. I really like mine. Install wasn't too bad.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the tip, would that add a good amount of hp and sound?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04SuperchargeR
Thanks for the tip, would that add a good amount of hp and sound?
It probably won't do a lot for sound. But it's a good KR killing mod. With headers, intake, tune, and probably colder plugs, you could possibly drop a pulley size which would add a fair amount of HP.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM

If you wanna be faster you could also upgrade your handling and wheels and tires. Cut out on weight distribution. Lighter can equal faster, if that helps. Good grip for hard launches. Now I don't know too Mich about cars, from as far as I read. LOL, but read up here in some of the Engine and Transmission treads. There are tons of high horsepower SS's on the forum.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 AM

-headers
- colder plugs
- cai
-tune

Should allow you to drop pulley 3.6/3.4 for a noticeable increase of HP.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
1 Year Member

What do you guys mean buy a drop a pulley?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 04SuperchargeR
What do you guys mean buy a drop a pulley?
Putting a smaller belt on your supercharger - the extra tension helps the supercharger make more power to the crank. Supporting mods are done to reduce knock from the extra power. Your car will retard the timing (KR) killing the cars power to keep it from hurting the engine, but it can only do so much before you can do damage.

Currently you have a 3.8 belt on your supercharger, adding the things Jose mentioned above you can drop to at least a 3.4 pulley and it'll up your power a decent amount.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM

3 Year Member

I'd suggest the fallowing to start with:

-180* T-stat
-Colder Plugs
-3.4" Pulley and ZZP MPS
-Speed Daddy Headers
-Intake (which you already have)
-Smaller belt
-Tune (from ZZP or similar vendor, in car tune would be best, but sometimes hard to come by depending on your location)
-Aeroforce or similar device to scan for KR and monitor temps, CELs, etc.

(^^^Not necessarily in that order, I'd highly suggest investing in a way of scanning for KR first )

Here's a fairly straight forward and good read from ZZP: How to Begin Mods to Your 3800 powered car | ZZP News

Some people will suggest you do those mods and go straight to a 3.4" pulley, while others will suggest a 3.5-3.6". Ultimately, it's your car so you can decide. Before dropping pulley sizes, I'd highly recommend a scan gauge or similar device to monitor your current KR, start doing some mods and tune accordingly, and continue to scan for KR! Search around on various W-body forums and here on the Monte Carlo Forums, a lot of great information out there.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 12-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I find this thread a little funny since the OP originally mentioned:
cheap suggestions for exhaust to add hp
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good info in this thread, but it all boils down to if you wanna compete and beat that Mustang, you have to pay to play. You're not going to slap on one cheap magic mod to make it happen. You will more then likely have to piece together a formula of mods (some may be cheap, some not so cheap) to reach your goal.

Bottom line, listen to the folks who have been there done that and the folks who have a wealth of research/knowledge/understanding under there belt. But also, do your home work. There is more then one way to do everything. Figure out what formula you need to make it happen and go for it.

Quick Reply: Cheap exhaust, maximum horsepower