Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Bolt on resonator?? Other MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Default RE: Bolt on resonator?? Other MODS?

well bigger is not always better.... taht is why i dont think its a good idea to jump up to a 3" exhaust for you right now. if you go too big you will loose low end torque and power. deff, not a good thing. 2.5" is perf till about 275-325 then you might want a larger downpipe. for NA applications and maybe around 350-400 you can go to a full 3"

-tip shape will effect sound to some extent. but the thing that has the most effect on the sound is thickness of the tip. if it is thiner, it will resonate and sound like crap. if you've seen my page with the exhaust pics.... its the first system you see with the Z28 style tip. it was a thin cheep tip the shop had on hand. i still have it laying around at the house... and if you tap it, it will ring! you want a thick solid tip. these tips i have now are very solid.

-i think 3" is more then enough 3.5" and it gets looking rediculus and any larger and your a tuner! as for slanted or straight it is personal pref. just look where they are going to be and watch the lines of the car to make the call.

-weldon is deff better cause it seals to the exhaust pipe. and you wont have any rattles from loose screws or other stuff. here is a pic of my system. i know its hard to see the inside of the tip, but it has no resonator. not many real perf tips have resonators in them. i really dont think you need them. i just got them cause they were Stainless and finished the system nicely.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:27 AM

I have no idea where you got the idea I wanted to jump to a 3 inch exhaust. I was just showing that I got bigger tips, not a larger exhaust output diameter. There is no way I'd lose any power from jumping a half inch up in tip size. I was just curious if the output diameter difference in the tip alone would be that big of a deal. The tips look very nice, not ricer esque at all. I would not say they are cheap tips they are very thick-- plus I saw a 2003 vette with resonated tips that were just like mine, but they were dual tips. "not many real perf tips have resonators in them" I also have no Idea what that means.

I don't know why there is so much confusion, but nobody on this forum seems to answer half my questions.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:48 AM

my section on the 2.5" is better then 3" was pointed at where you said "bigger is always better apparently " and i was trying to point out that bigger is not always better. and was talking about overall exhaust dia not the tips.

you are correct, a larger tip dia will have no effect on exhaust performance/flow.

what i ment about your last quote is... real performance tips dont have resonators in them. when you see factory vett, porches ferrari's lambo's their tips are just tips they dont have any perferations in the inside to act as a resonator. just get some nice stainless tips and keep them simple. the resonator tips can rust and hold water in the holes and they are such a small chamber that they arent going to make much diff in the sound.... if you follow the exhaust plan i laid out for you before you wont be disapointed.

and how arent we answering your questions? many of us have experience with cars and i guess we take basic knowledge for granted. sometimes you can give your self some help and SEARCH old posts for similar info.... i know i personally have answered bunches of posts on exhaust. or do some google searches and learn the basic exhaust terms and background on how they work.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

whats with the side exit and then having dual come out the back??? thats looks kinda wierd, but to each his own i guess, i figure one or ther other, not both

Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 PM

the double system your talking about was sweet! it was a cable operated cutout... from in side the car i could pull what looked like a choke cable and it would open or close a valve. it would go from 100% stock and quiet to loud! when the cutout was open the exhaust only flowed thru the cat and the first resonator.

the reason i removed the system was for a few reasons:
1) here in florida the salt air and humidity made the cable rust fast. i had it for about 10 months and had to mess with and adjust the cable 3 times!

2) the cutout only came in a 2" dia. so even though i could feel an improvement over stock, the car still was limited by the diameter of the cutout, cat, resonator. so that is why i steped up to the new system.

3) not as big a factor, but having the factory exhaust and the extra side pipe added unneeded weight. yeah its not like it was 75-100 lbs, but if i could shed 40 here 50 there on stuff it would all add up.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Sorry, I don't understand redneck too well. Learn how to read **** and not just go off and answer **** on your own tangents. Than you can tell me to learn basic terms, even though its clear I know them. ****head.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rcohen

Sorry, I don't understand redneck too well. Learn how to read **** and not just go off and answer **** on your own tangents. Than you can tell me to learn basic terms, even though its clear I know them. ****head.

am i the only one that wonders what and who he's talking about

dont know what the language is for though

Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

the double system your talking about was sweet! it was a cable operated cutout... from in side the car i could pull what looked like a choke cable and it would open or close a valve. it would go from 100% stock and quiet to loud! when the cutout was open the exhaust only flowed thru the cat and the first resonator.

the reason i removed the system was for a few reasons:
1) here in florida the salt air and humidity made the cable rust fast. i had it for about 10 months and had to mess with and adjust the cable 3 times!

2) the cutout only came in a 2" dia. so even though i could feel an improvement over stock, the car still was limited by the diameter of the cutout, cat, resonator. so that is why i steped up to the new system.

3) not as big a factor, but having the factory exhaust and the extra side pipe added unneeded weight. yeah its not like it was 75-100 lbs, but if i could shed 40 here 50 there on stuff it would all add up.

thats a pretty cool idea, i never thought about that, i guess its better flow, more horse power if it comes out the side(less distance to travel)

just never really thought about it that way

good idea *thumbs up**

Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Was talking to mr phoenix. In regards to why, I showed this forum to about 5 of my collegemates and they all think he is retarded. You wizz kid, answered my question in one sentence.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 AM

OK!!!! im a retard you happy?

atleast i can fix my car and know whats going on with it. you know its funny newbi's join up and ask questions that have been asked many many times before. they never use the search functions. then they cant understand what people tell them so they get angry and try and start thread wars.

"Learn how to read **** and not just go off and answer **** on your own tangents"
you little *****! your questions do not have simple yes and no answers. those tangents were there to give you more info and help you make your own desision.

WOW yoru took time to show all five of your friends my posts cause you couldnt understand it! NICE!

you know what i hope you go with your first idea. i'd love to see you waste your money!

you dont even have a real SS! HAha! good luck modding your POS cause i wont be helping you on this board thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Bolt on resonator?? Other MODS?