Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Beginner upgrades for '05 Monte Carlo SS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Beginner upgrades for '05 Monte Carlo SS?

I have been doing research on some beginning upgrades to my stock '05 SS and just have a few questions. I read the upgrade plan by bunpin and have decided to get a CAI from cold air inductions, exhaust cutout, and maybe the downpipe.

For the exhaust cutout where is the best spot to put this and what size should I get? I have seen people put them between the cat and o2 sensor. Is this the best spot for them or is there spots that are easier to install them and will work better?

For the downpipe the guide says get the ZZP 3" but what will be the difference between the 3" and 2.5"? I'm short on cash so if I don't have to spend more on the 3" I don't want to. Also I have heard if you downpipe you should also get the plog from them as well. Is that mod necessary and what benefits will I get from it because like I said, low on cash lol.

Last edited by Keudn; 05-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM

LoL by the title of your thread I thought you're talking about the actual starter itself.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Habbibie
LoL by the title of your thread I thought you're talking about the actual starter itself.
Lol whoops I'll change that to make it a little less confusing :P

Old 05-17-2015, 03:35 PM

get the 2.5 down pipe,it will take care of the U bend where the second 02 sensor sits that's the most restrictive part of the exhaust,and while your there id go ahead and spray some PB blaster on the exhaust bolts so they don't become rusted on over time,i got lucky with mine

Old 05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a 2005 Monte carlo SS.
I installed a Stainless Power Log & a ceramic coated crossover pipe from ZZP & a high flow cat & down pipe from summit racing, cold air intake I made with parts. from ebay & auto zone & home depot

Last edited by zjerry; 05-17-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My exhaust cut out is installed at the bottom of the downpipe. We moved the Hi-flo (Magna-flow) cat towards the rear more, made an extension for the 02 sensor and plugged it in behind the cat.

Look and you can see the small Magnaflow CAT and on the bend past the CAT you can see the 02 sensor installed on the pipe.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
My exhaust cut out is installed at the bottom of the downpipe. We moved the Hi-flo (Magna-flow) cat towards the rear more, made an extension for the 02 sensor and plugged it in behind the cat.
So you can install the cutout before the cat and o2 sensor without any problems?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I also installed my cutout where the downpipe bends at the firewall. My cutout faces straight down to the ground. You can install the cutout anywhere after your up stream o2 sensor. The down stream o2 sensor can be turned off with a tune an d the cutout can be in front of it with no issues.

Next I would just buy headers if I were you. Why piece together a plog and down pipe when for not much more you can have headers. I'm assuming your supercharged with being a 05. Once you get a intake and headers, get a step colder plugs and drop the sc pulley size to make more boost for more hp. (This will require a tune as soon as you change this pulley!)

Old 05-18-2015, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
I also installed my cutout where the downpipe bends at the firewall. My cutout faces straight down to the ground. You can install the cutout anywhere after your up stream o2 sensor. The down stream o2 sensor can be turned off with a tune an d the cutout can be in front of it with no issues.

Next I would just buy headers if I were you. Why piece together a plog and down pipe when for not much more you can have headers. I'm assuming your supercharged with being a 05. Once you get a intake and headers, get a step colder plugs and drop the sc pulley size to make more boost for more hp. (This will require a tune as soon as you change this pulley!)
Yep its supercharged, will any shop tune it to turn off the downstream o2 sensor or will I need to take it to a performance shop to do it?

Also what headers should I get?

Last edited by Keudn; 05-18-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2 on just get headers instead of a Plog and downpipe.

Quick Reply: Beginner upgrades for '05 Monte Carlo SS?