Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3800 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Default 3800 exhaust

Hello everyone. Im planning on doing a new exhaust system for my 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with the 3800 V6.

Im getting a highflow cat, and some new mufflers. Mufflers are my only problem. Im not sure of what to get because of all the choices. I personaly have it narrowed down to only the brands; Cherry Bomb, or Flowmaster.

The sound I'm looking for the loudest gurgerling and chugging sound I can possibly get. All the Grand Prix boys have them. But when I asked they laughed at me... Must not like Chevys lol.

Could anyone tell me what model muffler from either company would sound the best for me?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: 3800 exhaust

all the grand prix boys dont like chevy's?? they're all the same manufacturer !! lol

anyways if your looking for the loudest sound thats still decent, put a high flow cat on, get rid of the resonator completely and put a flowmaster 40 on there, that will give you the best sound probably

see if chris can post his clip, i think thats what he has on his

Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Welcome to MCF!!! I would avoid the Cherry Bomb... especially in your area. If you haven't noticed yet Milwaukee cops are ******. Plus you need to deal with emissions there.

I would go with the Flowmaster 40's for what you are after with the chugging. I got the Dynomax for the milder sound and the better airflow over the Flowmasters.

If you really want a good chug though you are going to need to switch to a higher profile cam. Cold air boxes and other mods help, but nothing will beat a GT cam for your car.

http://media.putfile.com/Ya-thats-a-v6-bitches

Old 06-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Yeah, theres a mini-rivarly between pontiac and chevy. My dad always gets razzed because hes got a Chevy 454 in his '67 GTO.

Would emissions be a problem even? Because the IM-240 only measures emissions, not the sound. Is there anything to worry about for the O2-Sensors detecting more pollutants with a highflow cat on an OBDII car? Or are highflow cats still required to reduce the pollutants just as much, but just do it faster/with better flow?

I was also concerned about price. I was looking to only spend about 400$. With the Flowmaster 40s, I now only have 200 to throw around. Im going to need a new Y pipe because my dad cheaped out and got a 1.75in Y pipe when the exhaust rotted out. So thats ganna run me another 100$ atleast. Tips, another 100, cat, another 100$. And I know theres ganna be some other expenses.

Milwaukee cops arnt that bad. They never pull over the ricers because of their exhaust, nor the Hemi guys with the 3inch exhaust. Only thing milwaukee cops like to pull people over for is excessive tint. Like they can tell what is excessive, and what is legal. You cant just say "thats excessive" with out seeing a comparison to the max legal tint.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Sorry typed that too quickly and was getting ahead of myself. :P

Yeah the mufflers won't affect emissions at all - the catalytic converter does. The hiflow cats open it up quite a bit but allow more pollutants through. It also has a noticable differance on the growl of the engine. When I removed my Realtech downpipe and switched to the SLP cat I could really notice my growl disappear. As stated before, I like my Dynomax muffler as the catback only cost $430 and that took care of all my piping. I also got the RealTech downpipe and highflow cat at the same time so my total on the exhaust was $770 plus shipping.

[shameless plug] I have it for sale now, but not sure how it will affect your emissions. It set off my check engine light a few times, but I could clear it quick enough. You can also swap the stock cat in for the emissions test and swap it back out when you get home. I've heard of some people doing that on ClubGP. [/shameless plug]

I noticed that the cops in the Fond du Lac area don't turn their heads as much as when I had my RealTech on, so I'm glad I got the SLP in my case. I do miss the power through.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:07 PM

If you all want something that sounds really cool get a cherry bomb to replace the resonator and some flowmaster super 40's for mufflers. sounds amazing in my opinion, a friend of mine did it to his monte.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 PM

nah guys, flowmaster super 44s are what I have on my car, they are 10 times better than my old 40 series

Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM

I never hear anyone ever talk about the SLP Powerflo, perhaps these Flowmaster 44's are the way to go?