Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3400 cai

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Default 3400 cai

I have a 2000 LS and I wantto install a CAI. I was reading the threads and saw that you can install the K&N CAI on the 3400 motor. I was wondering how much modifing is required or if it would be easier to install a weapon R intake which is made for the 3400 motor. Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM

There is actually a discussion going on today about K&N, its not worth the money. You're better off buildign your own. And what you are talkign about is just a short ram intake, or what we all call a warm air intake. You reallly need to look into building your own. Its cheaper and you can make it go into the fenderwell or run it behind your headlight so you can have a real cai that is sucking in ambient air instead of hot air from under your hood. think about the price of the kit you're looking at and then think I made mine for 60 bucks. I also have the 3400 LS, and it is VERY simple to do this. if you want check out my profile and youll be able to see exactly what I did.
But if you wanna just go ahead and buy a kit thats up to you, I just dont know why people would spend upwards of 200 bucks when all they need is 60 bucks and an extra half hour.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Ha, Sorry didnt even answer your question, the only modifing needed to install the K&N is you need to drill a hole in it for the vacuum tube. Or it might be you need to drill a hole for the intake temp sensor, either way, you need to drill an extra hole.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

also you need an extension to get it to the intake manifold, it would actually probably hook right up to the MAF...not completely sure how that works tho

Old 05-23-2010, 03:06 PM

LOL you just love to correct me dont you?? JK
It will hook right up to the maf. Yuo might need an extra coupler also (before somone throws that at me too) again JK

Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Ok thanks a lot. I will check out your page but I don't have the know how to do it myself. Do you think it's worth spending the extra money on the K&N and modify it or go with the weapon R?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Is the weapon R a fenderwell intake?? Would you be able to post a pic of it? Cause if all it is, is just a short ram, you could save some money and just slap a K&N conical filter on the MAF sensor and that would do the same thing. I would stay away from the K&N kit. Sure they have a great filter, but the kit isnt so great. Unless you're talkign about the polished aluminum one, and even that isnt worth the money. You could, like I said, just put a filter on your MAF sensor and have the same effect as a short ram.
And it is VERY VERY simple to make a CAI like I have. All you have to do is, go to autozone and buy a ton of piping, then fit it all together (whatever fits to make it into the fenderwell or into the bumper behind the headlight) and they will let you return anything you didnt use. Other than that all you need is 3 couplers.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Wow! I jsut looked at that one (the weapon R) and I would never buy that, its not that its a bad product or anythhing, its just that its 200 dallars for a short ram.
If you dont know how to make a CAI and you want one, Id be more than happy to give you detailed instructions on exactly what I did and how I went about it, just so you dont have to spend 200 dollars on somthing you (probably) wont like the outcome of. Those weapon R's (any short ram for that matter) doesnt really give you ANY power, it will just make your engine alot louder.

EDIT: I didnt even think of this, why dont you get a wizaired or ZZP CAI?? Those give you great gains (ive heard) and I do belive they are cheaper, better quality, easy to install, and look just GREAT in the engine bay.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=247&catid=113

If you go with this (which will be your best bet) make sure you get the opiton for the 3400. Also this LINK is for the grand prix(i dont know if its the same for the monte's but I know they sell them for the monte's) but yeah, this is around the same price, might be a little cheaper too.

Last edited by wht02monte; 05-23-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM

I've thought alot about air intakes but what i've come to see is that incomparison to other cars the monte has very little ductwork as far as the distance from the air inlet and the throttle body. What i i'm going to try to do is to insulate as much of the stock ductwork and replace the filter with a highflo drop in filter and see how that works. I came up with this idea to insulate it because the engine bay gets super hot in the summertime here in arizona.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Thats what I did, rapped the intake tube and im gonna (as i was recommended to do) rap the crossover pipe for the exhaust.
Ill tell you, the first thing I did to my car was drop in a high flow K&N filter. It really didnt do too much, I could feel a little gain though, and it saved me gas. But other than the filter, I also made a little half ased ram air where i had a 90* pipe under the front bumper and snaked it up to the stock airbox with some aluminum piping and some couplers.

Quick Reply: 3400 cai