Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3.4 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

when is there popping? im not a huge fan of the popping lol

Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 AM

The popping isnt too bad, its only when I do the quick floor in nuetral and it gets that huge gulp of air. And it will do it in neutral if I rev it to about 5k. then it gets that raspy, popping kinda exhale sound. But other than that, it doesnt do it when Im driving or nothing.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Flooring your car in neutral??

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Not letting it stay down in neutral, just to get a rev out of it. Like I said, quick, just enough to get it to the floor and back up agian, less than a half second thing???

Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member

do you think there would be more or less popping with a cat and res still on there

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM

There wouldnt be any poping (im almost sure) I never had any when I had my stock downpipe. You are gonna have a different sound most of the time though, I dont know how to explain it, but ill try. HMMMMMM? Okay okay, think of a vette with magnaflows, then take away the V8 sound and turn it into a V6 sound kinda. If you can get an idea like that. I know its kinda dumb but its the only way I can explain it.
It does sound really cool though. Kinda a higher pitch humming?? Ever hear a old
S-10 with magnaflows?? sounds like that.
If you can imagine this one (and this sounds really stupid) but a low, highpitch humming.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member

but it still wont be raspy? i want deep tone

Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM

No, no rasp at all, but it wont be as deep as you hear mine. If youre wanting a deep sound with a stock DP you might wanna look into somthing else, cause its gonna be really quiet also but still louder than stock. From what your saying you want, Im thinking flowmaster might be best for you, maybe magnaflow. I dont think you'll be happy with the cherrybombs with the rest of the exhaust stock, and then I might be partialy to blame if you go and get it and not like it you know?? Just try to do some more research and see if you can find anything else before you make a final decision. Like I said, I would hate to be telling you to get somthing and then you not like the outcome.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member

any suggestions on the deepest sounding magnaflow mufflers? i heard one on a 98 z34 and it sounded good and i think its the same engine

Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Well, from what I have heard, the 3.4 gives off a much more raspy sounds as opposeed to our 3400's. The deepest magnaflow would be from a stright through race muffler, but HAHA, I dont think you want it that loud> cause its LOUD. Ummm, Id have to say the best thing for a "deep" tone on our 3400's from magnaflow would probably come from their universal mufflers. The only reason is cause they dont make anything specificly for anything but the 3.9's and the 5.3's as for the newer models. Your best bet would be to go with a 2.25" inlet and a 2.75" outlet, but that dont matter its just if you go with those sizes, you might be able to get away without any tips. You would have to find the exact size of the stock mufflers to make it fit right. Another thing, be ready to pay a pretty penny cause these are quality mufflers. But Im pretty sure the inlet on the stock pipe is 2.25" so one of the "lets" would have to be that size and you might need a sleeve welded in to fit good. I reccomend (if you havnt already) to check out their website cause they have SO MANY different mufflers to choose from. I have to say this again (and I know you're set on keeping them) but you'd be soooooo much better off getting rid of the res and cat, then you would get more of the sound you're looking for. But magnaflow or flowmaster will get you at least happy. Another thing, if you get tips, resonated tips would (I think) please you a little more seeing as they will give it a tiny bit more of a deeper tone but it will quiet it up just a tad bit but its worth it for the sound quality. I think I covered everything you asked, if not, just let me know. Wait... The 3.4 isnt the same engine, those tend to have a slightly harsher sound to them and a tiny bit higher pitch also.

Quick Reply: 3.4 Exhaust