Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

1998 monte carlo LS 3.1L dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Default 1998 monte carlo LS 3.1L dual exhaust?

first i want to say im new cuz i just got my first car(look above)

second my car is lame.

i want to unleash its inner beast with a dual exhaust. Im thinking i want the flowmaster super 40 series mufflers. I know they dont give the best performance. If i dualed them wouldnt i have more air flow(performance) and keep the nice sound?

also i cant find any dual exhaust tubing for my car so i need help with that too.

thanks, Jason

Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Default RE: 1998 monte carlo LS 3.1L dual exhaust?

sad to say it, but the inner beast of the 3100 ohv engine is that of a small rabbit or maybe a raccon. :-P to switch to dual exhaust will mainly be for looks and sound on that motor.

to get any real gain, you will need to change the intake manifold and TB to that of the 3400, and deff get a cold air intake such as a FWI on it. Opening up the exhaust too much will hurt torque and slow the car down.

i would also drop a 180* thermostat in the car they are like $10 andwill keep your car from getting hot at idle in traffic.

down to the exhaust... things to remember anything larger then 2.5" will make you loose Tq. as for finding the right system... your most cost effective way is to find a local exhaust shop and have them fabricate a system for you. the borla and magnaflow kits for our cars are like 900-1000 dollars! and you can have a local shop fab up a system for much less then half that. im just runing one muffler toward the center of the car and have two tips at the back. so its still duals but using only one muffler... it cost less, is lighter, and flows better then runing too mufflers at the back where pressure is lower.

you can go to my WWW under my profile and check it out for ideas. good luck! and welcome to the site.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 AM

lol yeah i knew there isnt much of any beast in it or ever will be in it. but hey, my parents bought it for me(yeah im only 16) and its all i got and i want power. so yeah, ill take your advice, thanks!

btw im not getting the super 40's but im thinking of the 40 delta flows unless somebody knows if theres a really really good muffler that could add some hp.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:45 AM

i love my magnaflow. i have a single magnaflow muffler just after my cat. it is 6" round and about 16" long... it is 2.5" piping but you would be best to stay with the factory 2.25" piping.

the flowmasters are great mufflers for sound but arent the best for performance... they have baffles (walls) inside to reduce the sound.... Magnaflowand borla use a perferated tube (a bunch of holes) with fiberglass or steelwool in an out shell to trap noise but let the exhaust flow unrestricted thru the muffler.