Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dual exhaust on 04 LS?

Old 05-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Default Dual exhaust on 04 LS?

Seeing the way the rear bumper is molded, to accomodate another muffler tip, makes me wanna make it dual. I got a quote of $340 for both mufflers, both tips, y-adapter, piping to second muffler and installation. Dude at the muffler shop said it wouldn't decrease power at all, is this true? If so, im doing it!

Oh yeah, the mufflers I'm going with are Aero-Turbine, 100% stainless steel construction inside and out, MagnaFlow double wall, angle cut oval tips. Aero is a relatively new player in the game, their muffler is nearly identical to the MagnaFlow muffler pictured below, except for the construction, which MagnaFlow claims to be stainless yet a magnet sticks to it(magnets don't stick to stainless)

I want out of this system: No loss of power, any gains would be nice; a noticeable yet tame exhaust note, and of course the major improvement visually when you see two stainless mufflers in the back topped off with chrome tips. Any ideas/suggestions?

Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Dual exhaust on 04 LS?

I am not sure how it will sound or feel on a 3.4L. I went flow master 40's on mine and it sounds great.

$340 is not bad. Go for it I say. Should not hurt performance and would only add to the sound and look.

TVW

Old 05-23-2005, 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

I am not sure how it will sound or feel on a 3.4L. I went flow master 40's on mine and it sounds great.

$340 is not bad. Go for it I say. Should not hurt performance and would only add to the sound and look.

TVW
Well, given the sound right now, im sure anything would be an improvement. I like how stong the motor sounds, doesn't sound puny like the v6 Chevy Classic

Old 05-23-2005, 11:16 AM

whoa where do you reside cause here in atlanta i am getting something simialr donw to my 04 ls but it is only costing me 270. but i have experienced flowmasters on my 04 ls and it sounds ****ty, so dont use them whatever you do.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: benhillzone3

whoa where do you reside cause here in atlanta i am getting something simialr donw to my 04 ls but it is only costing me 270. but i have experienced flowmasters on my 04 ls and it sounds ****ty, so dont use them whatever you do.
I live in Portland, OR.

You had flows and didn't like em huh? I bet you had the 40 series didn't you? For our cars, the way the engine flows, the 50 series would have been a better choice. But no worries, im not going w/Flows, i'm going with Aero-Turbine, 100% stainless, 2 chamber. It looks identical to the MagnaFlow, which I wanted to go with but they are a little too quiet. The Aero sound is somewhere between the MagnaFlow and a Flowmaster, perfect for what I want.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 AM

I have the 3.4 with flowmaster on it. i took off the resignator and put a straight pipe to the 40 series muffler(1 muffler and one tip). so far i've gotten nothing but compliments on it from v8 guys and 4 cyl guys

Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 AM

hey man i put duals on my 04 LS with some flowmasters about 4 months ago and got about 5 more horsepower, plus the car was a tad louder, but later removed the flowmasters and ran the car straight pipe, due to the fact that i wanted the car louder and heard it would breathe better. that guy is right, the engine does sound pretty sexy alone, but with the straight pipes, i get a loud deep sound, plus more power, im very satisfied, but dam, $390, bastards ripped me off i paid about $500.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Hey wassa Boyz.... this is my first time on the monte carlo forum... I have a black 04' Monte Carlo LS. and i went to a couple muffler shops that want to charge different amounts for the Dual Exaust Flowmasters or DynoMax or magna flow - I wasn't exactly sure which brand to go with... I want it to sound nice.. a little loud, but NOT Nasty loud! which brand would u go with..? Is stainless steel better than the chrome by quality,look, or performance?

04MonteLS, i saw that you said for flowmaster 50' is better then the 40'....

i dunno im just a little confused, help me out boyz..

thanx

-Donny

Old 07-18-2005, 02:23 PM

Hello Donny, welcome to the forum!!

I have F/M 40's on mine and I like it.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: MonteMagic

Hey wassa Boyz.... this is my first time on the monte carlo forum... I have a black 04' Monte Carlo LS. and i went to a couple muffler shops that want to charge different amounts for the Dual Exaust Flowmasters or DynoMax or magna flow - I wasn't exactly sure which brand to go with... I want it to sound nice.. a little loud, but NOT Nasty loud! which brand would u go with..? Is stainless steel better than the chrome by quality,look, or performance?

04MonteLS, i saw that you said for flowmaster 50' is better then the 40'....
-Donny
Welcome to the board Donny.

I actually ended up getting DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers instead of the flows. When I was shopping for my exhuast, after explaining what I wanted out of it, 90% of the shops said this would be a better choice than the Flows. It all depends on what kind of sound you want. Personally, I wanted something more on the quiet side, yet noticeable under acceleration and without the drone and resonance. I couldn't be happier with my current setup, two DynoMax Super Turbo's with a Y pipe out back to give me dual exhaust!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual exhaust on 04 LS?