Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 Monte 3.5 Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Cool 06 Monte 3.5 Dual Exhaust

I am looking to put dual exhaust on my 06 3.5 . I am looking at flowmaster 40's. I am curious about how much it will cost. I would love to hear some feedback or suggestions about a different system.
I have a CAI from cold air inductions. I don't want something too loud, just something to give it some sound.
I cant find any sound clips on youtube, if anyone has one i would love to hear it.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Magnaflow could give a nice rumble. If you find a parted SS exhaust you can also get that to bolt right up, just needing the left side hangers installed.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Im doing the same thing. Im getting the magnaflow kit. There is also a cheaper SLP kit that would work but it may be louder then the magnaflow, because the SLP kit does not have a resonator and magnaflow does... If i get the kit anytime soon i will be sure to post some clips for you. My concern here is of the left side exhaust hangers, also on a 06 3.5. I believe the hangers are a simple bolt on but im not 100% sure. gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

Part #9 in the above link is what i belive to be the exhaust hanger that is needed but im not too sure?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not sure if you can bolt up an exhaust hanger, it might need to be welded.

I know any exhaust shop can put a hanger up for you though, for like $20

Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 PM

I just want to make sure the system i get is gonna sound the way i want. Since i cant find many good quality videos or sound clips. Does anyone have any knowledge of the flowmaster 44's?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by tloughrin
I just want to make sure the system i get is gonna sound the way i want. Since i cant find many good quality videos or sound clips. Does anyone have any knowledge of the flowmaster 44's?
Well i can tell you that both the magnaflow and the SLP kits have had great reviews. They both seem like very good well constructed kits. Some are all for Magnaflow while others are all about SLP, at that point its all about personal preference. I cant tell you for sure but i would assume the SLP kit would be louder then magnaflows only because the SLP kit does not have a resonator. You would probably save some money if you just bought the y pipe and 2 mufflers as long as you find a good price for the installation. The flowmaster 44 series muffler, they describe it as a very loud muffler. If you are not looking for something as loud then the 44 series might not be for you.

The first thing i wanted to do with my monte was to get a flowmaster muffler. I knew the original 40 series would be louder but not too loud because at first i was concerned of having my car too loud. After a while i decided it was not loud enough so i chopped off the resonator. Turned out that its not a good idea to start modifications from the middle of your exhaust for i had cut the straight pipe for the resonator a bit too long... which threw off the angle ad position of the entire exhaust system from resonator to exhaust tip by about 3" more towards the passenger side, so now it looks awful and crooked. Finally i decided that im going to get a simple set up for a dual exhaust system and just trash my old messed up exhaust. Reason being that i totally messed up the exhaust and i just want something pre built to the proper fittments and specifications that i know will look if not beautiful it ill at least look like its not a crooked piece of garbage. Another reason is that i am clearly not satisfied with the sound of just the flowmaster 40 series muffler, things sound a bit raspy and from what i understand about the magnaflow kit is that it produces a nice deep tone which is exactly what im looking for.

Basically what im trying to say is that it may be better in the long run to go bigger... hence the expression go big or go home, maybe i would not have delt with all of these problems if i had just got a professionally manufatured exhaust kit in the first place.

Please remember im not telling you what you should do or what is right for you. Any exhaust modification is entirely personal. Everyone has a different liking towards how ones exhaust system will sound.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 AM

ask urself how big u wanna go and what all u wanna change, u could go true dual which means swappin the manifold for a set of headers, how big of a pipe, i hope not 3.5, not the whole way anyway, it's alright for the tips but if the whole system is done 3.5 ur proply losing compression, don't quote me on it but u might be too rich and burn too much gas without making enough power for the trade off, 2.5 is a better idea, ur gains out way the little mpg u lose and it's big enough to make a whole lotta noise if u want it to, and if u do the header swap i'd suggest insulating the outside of the pipes under the hood, they let a bunch more heat into the engine bay which could effect anything and everything, without insulation u risk losing EVERYTHING

Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 AM

the part # from gm parts direct is one of two 12498653 or nal-12498653 for the left side hanger asembely

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM

06-montelt2- What system did you end up getting?

J-Bob- I have looked for headers for this engine, and just cant seem to find any.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tloughrin
06-montelt2- What system did you end up getting?

J-Bob- I have looked for headers for this engine, and just cant seem to find any.
I hav not purchased my system yet. I will be getting the Magnaflow system though. Once everything is installed i will be sure to post a video of the system on our 3.5's, because i do know how difficult it is to find youtubes of exactly that. I should be purchasing the system by friday, probably receiving it next week.

Also Headers are extreemely difficult to find for our engines. It would appear the only way to get them is to have some custom made unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 06 Monte 3.5 Dual Exhaust