General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): ZZPerformance Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ZZPerformance Tune?

2001 Monte SS

So I'm a little confused on what a tune will give you I guess? I know what it does as in it removes the speed limiter (governor) and changes shift points and increases transmission line pressure and so on. So if you don't have a governor anymore....what is your top end? I don't wanna sound stupid here but this can't really give you anymore HP....or does it? Like right now I'm limited at around 120 - 125 somewhere in there when the governor kicks in. What would I expect a new top end to be? Would I hit the 140 mark?....and if so how is that possible? Because I'm not changing the HP right? I mean if you no longer have a governor is it possible to go "too fast" LOL? I don't wanna toast my car here.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Removing the speed limiter will allow the car to go as fast as it physically can. Tunes can help with throttle response and shift times and sometimes help you gain a bit of power. They're best done after some other mods are done.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member

So far I have a CAI, res delete, aftermarket high flow CAT, alternator voltage booster (not sure if that is really considered a "mod") and I'm adding a U-bend delete and the tuned PCM. Hmm OK so basically you have no "top end"....interesting.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The car will still climb, it just won't cut the fueling off at the 118 mark of the stock limiter.

I doubt you'd hit over 125-130

The tune helps wake the car up a little. From the factory they tame it some. It's very nice to feel the difference.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As others said, the tune takes out the sluggish trans shifts, no speed limiter, and a few other things. The tune may give you a couple more hp but the power won't be noticeable when driving. Now the trans shifts, throttle response, etc will be noticeable.

Without a speed limiter the car will keep climbing until the cars hp can no longer make it go faster or you hit red line in 4th gear which I would NEVER do power pulls in 4th gear as 4th is very weak. So with that said you would be limited to top of 3rd gear which should be around 130-140

Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I definitely wouldn't put heavy load on the transmission in 4th gear. If you truly must go that fast (130+), make sure it is a very straight road that's a couple miles long.

Anyway, the tune bumps up your timing some, cuts on fans at 180, firmer shifting at higher RPMs... Lots of things. Can't say I've had a good tune from them, but others have.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

OK thanks guys this is EXACTLY the info. I was looking for. I couldn't understand where the "cut off" would be if there was no top end, but it makes sense when you run out of HP that's your top end. Also good to remember to keep it in 3rd gear.

Thanks again for the info.