General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Would you buy or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb Would you buy or pass?

I'm considering a 2005 Monte Carlo priced at $4K. My concerns are that it's had 5 owners & 136,640 miles.

The Carfax is as follows:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...WW12E259119584

Would you get it or keep looking?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

the 8 years as a rental car could be seen as good or bad, meaning people drive rentals hard, but it could also have been well maintained by the renter. The open recall is likely the valve cover one. I would have it checked for intake leak .... how does it look to the eye and how does it drive?
I paid 5k for my 03SS it has higher miles, but my bro-n-law was asking what he paid and what he put in. He had it like a month or so and did plugs and wires, new brakes, wheels, and tires. The wheels alone would be the price difference from mine to that one.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:57 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

oops, you said 05. Not sure those have the same recall or the same issues with the gaskets

Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by shawn parker
the 8 years as a rental car could be seen as good or bad, meaning people drive rentals hard, but it could also have been well maintained by the renter. The open recall is likely the valve cover one. I would have it checked for intake leak .... how does it look to the eye and how does it drive?
I paid 5k for my 03SS it has higher miles, but my bro-n-law was asking what he paid and what he put in. He had it like a month or so and did plugs and wires, new brakes, wheels, and tires. The wheels alone would be the price difference from mine to that one.
The recall is for the ignition key. Since it's out of warranty, GM won't address it, right?
I haven't been to the dealership yet, as I feel it'd be pointless if forum members advise against it. It would be a daily driver, so reliability & it not becoming a money pit would be important.

Last edited by athelitextreme; 11-06-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Recalls are always covered past warranty, a recall protects the company from lawsuit. Odd the dealership didn't take care of that.... it's free
It can't hurt to go drive it and pry them for info and ask if they would let you take it to a shop for some tests

Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Recalls are always covered past warranty, a recall protects the company from lawsuit. Odd the dealership didn't take care of that.... it's free
It can't hurt to go drive it and pry them for info and ask if they would let you take it to a shop for some tests
If I take a mechanic with me, what are the most common Monte Carlo powertrain issues (such as the intake leak you mentioned) that I can suggest be checked?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

A local lot here had a 06SS this Summer, I don't recall the exact mileage on it, but it was over 100K and he was acting like 8K was a steal, I did not even drive it for that price

Last edited by shawn parker; 11-06-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

damn I'm sorry I was thinking the 05 was 7th gen, but that was 06 and 07.
So yeah I would have it checked over and intake and other gaskets GM skimped and used cheap gaskets, they have improved replacements now.
Mine is at about 158K miles and running great, if maintained they will last, it's my daily driver except in Montana winter, I just dont want the ice melt to mess with my wheels nor the gravel to mess with everything else.
If I were you I would go check it out .... hands on is the only way to know

If you are not a DIYer than keep in mind that lower intake and up gasket job runs around 1K

Last edited by shawn parker; 11-06-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:18 PM

If you are not a DIYer than keep in mind that lower intake and up gasket job runs around 1K
I'm not a DIYer, so it's a serious concern. With 136K+ miles on it, wouldn't the gaskets have already leaked (hopefully replaced too)?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:26 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

the 3800 series was used in tons of GM vehicles not just the Monte Carlo.

Sorry I was a bit confused about what gen Monte you were looking at, I'm on cold meds