General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Would a 1973 Monte Carlo be considered a Muscle Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Monte ZZ3 Factory 4 Speed
SupplySgt you are correct, I maybe didn't respond correctly to the original question... Is the 73 Monte considered a Muscle Car? The easy answer is no, i was thinking collectible car from a very cool era in American auto manufacturing history. My thought was whether a collector would consider a '73 Monte as a car he would put on his bucket list as a "would like to own", probably not. Would he consider a 73-74 Z28 with the then standard, more tame L82 instead of solid lifter, ready race LT-1, I would say yes. I might add; A 73 Monte is a cool car and would attract "some" attention at the local Saturday night cruise. As much as a 71 SS454 Monte? Maybe not. As much as a 66-67 SS Chevelle? No. As much as 69 GTO or 69 Z-28? No, but some, because most of us, or our family owned something similar back in the '70s, at least for those of us that were alive in the '70s. And its still just a cool, classy looking Chev with Chevy 350, 400 SB or 454 that wasn't choked with catalytic converters, smog pumps and numerous canisters and hoses all over the place. Great discussion. Hopefully i didn't offend anyone with my original response... Hey, I've owned the same 78 Monte for 36 years, there wasn't much "muscle or collectible" about it in stock form, but I always thought of any Monte as a desirable, up scale ride from Chevy.

I just thought it may be a muscle car because it came with floor shift, big block and gage package, optional posi and sport wheels, dual exhaust and suspension package. I would consider it a muscle car. Plus, its body is actually very muscular looking.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by monte-cristo
I just thought it may be a muscle car because it came with floor shift, big block and gage package, optional posi and sport wheels, dual exhaust and suspension package. I would consider it a muscle car. Plus, its body is actually very muscular looking.
It's a muscle car but only in modern terms. In 1973, it wouldn't have been muscle because this is the time when engines were denuned, smog became and issue and etc. but in today's world, the non purist and those born after the 70's consider most V8 RWD big cars muscle. It's like I said in my earlier post, the Camaro should be considered a pony car but in today's world, the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and even the 4 door Charger and 300 are considered muscle despite none of them having all attributes of the original muscle cars just V8 and RWD, and that's not even counting the fact that these cars have small block V8's.

But regardless of whether or not it's muscle, you can always tune it to be as powerful as muscle and you'll always get attention for it especially considering that these new cars have no style... they're just jelly beans.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Monte ZZ3 Factory 4 Speed
SupplySgt you are correct, I maybe didn't respond correctly to the original question... Is the 73 Monte considered a Muscle Car? The easy answer is no, i was thinking collectible car from a very cool era in American auto manufacturing history. My thought was whether a collector would consider a '73 Monte as a car he would put on his bucket list as a "would like to own", probably not. Would he consider a 73-74 Z28 with the then standard, more tame L82 instead of solid lifter, ready race LT-1, I would say yes. I might add; A 73 Monte is a cool car and would attract "some" attention at the local Saturday night cruise. As much as a 71 SS454 Monte? Maybe not. As much as a 66-67 SS Chevelle? No. As much as 69 GTO or 69 Z-28? No, but some, because most of us, or our family owned something similar back in the '70s, at least for those of us that were alive in the '70s. And its still just a cool, classy looking Chev with Chevy 350, 400 SB or 454 that wasn't choked with catalytic converters, smog pumps and numerous canisters and hoses all over the place. Great discussion. Hopefully i didn't offend anyone with my original response... Hey, I've owned the same 78 Monte for 36 years, there wasn't much "muscle or collectible" about it in stock form, but I always thought of any Monte as a desirable, up scale ride from Chevy.
I would add a caveat to that. The 74-76 Camaros (even the 74 Z28 having the exact same drivetrain as the 73 Z28) are far less desirable due to the big bumper nose and tails. Even the 78-81s are more desirable than the big bumper models (although to be fair, the 78-81 handle much better than any Camaro up until the late 3rd gens)

Monte-cristo, I was referring to the power difference between my 73 and the more desirable 70-71 model Camaros. Not only did they have available 402s (albeit badged as 396), but those two years had the most power in all trim levels out of any Camaros until the 4th gen Z28s. 70 was the first year of a 350 in a Z28 and I'd take one of those over a 67-69Z any day of the week. If you rated the 1970 Z28's LT1 net instead of gross (my 73 was rated at net hp), it was about a 70-80hp dofference between that and the L82 in my 73.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM

I am glad that most folks don't consider the Monte a true muscle car, makes them a lot more affordable. I paid less than 4k for my crazy low mileage 73 2 years ago.
It was nothing fancy, 350 2 barrel car with few options but a very clean car that gets tons of compliments every time we take it to a cruise night. We always see first gens and lots of G bodies but last night was the first time we saw another second gen at a cruise.
To me, most any car that came with a big block dual exhaust and posi is at least part muscle car and they do actually handle pretty good for there size as evidenced by how many are still being used as roundy round cars
I recently completed a big block swap, 496 with Brodix heads, a turbo 400 and some 30 spline axles with posi in the rear diff, and the way she runs now I would beg to differ with anybody who says they are not muscle cars

Mike

Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM

I'll be honest, my 78 with its L31 would beg to differ that a big block is required for muscle. I do like a good BBC though and am contemplating one for the 73. Either that or an EFI SBC.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM

I hear ya sarge, I know small blocks can run real good, I drag raced with them for years, but its a lot easier to make a big car move with big cubic inches, and in the long run cheaper too.
I bought my 73 due to the emissions laws around here, if I had a G body you can bet it would have a stroker small block in it for a very quick and balanced car.

Mike

Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 AM

I had to deal with emissions in TN. That sucked but at least my 73 was exempt. Needless to say, the 78 with the 98 L31 Vortec passed emissions with no problem at all. But now that I'm back home, I'm looking at some upgrades for it and a possible stroker rebuild. After the 73 has a new motor of course

Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 AM

you no the differance between a muscle car and a regular car,about $50,000. thats about what you'd pay for a real muscle car today

Last edited by rumpfox; 07-28-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: pics
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM

The first generation Montes were as close as it got to a actual muscle car. But, the 73-77 models were considered more family oriented entry level luxury cars. They were designed to be plush and smooth, not quick and sporty. As much as I love them, they have more of that Grandpa/Grandma car feeling to them than an actual muscle car feeling for sure. I used to have a mint condition 74 and I sure do miss her.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 00MonteCarloSS
The first generation Montes were as close as it got to a actual muscle car. But, the 73-77 models were considered more family oriented entry level luxury cars. They were designed to be plush and smooth, not quick and sporty. As much as I love them, they have more of that Grandpa/Grandma car feeling to them than an actual muscle car feeling for sure. I used to have a mint condition 74 and I sure do miss her.

And that's the way I like it, fast with class, my wife even calls my 73 grandpa green.
When people see my car at the track or cruise night the last thing they expect is a monster that runs 12 flat without a bottle or boost and never sees the high side of 5800 rpm.

Mike