General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Winter Monte!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Winter Monte!

Over Thanksgiving I found out my dad had a side post battery laying around that i could use on my 02 monte. I figured I'd throw it in and see what else it all needs to be done to bring her back to life.

It took 1 turn of the key and less than 2 seconds and she was running like a champ. Dip stick says the oil level is perfect, there was coolant in the radiator/reservoir, and believe it or not (i did not ) all 4 tires were full. I moved it out of the holes (cause i was an idiot and parked it on grass) and over to a cement pad that is at their house. Before I get all crazy and park my 06 for the winter, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of what to do to get my 02 ready. I've already read all the threads about storing a car for winter so the 06 is covered. As for the 02 -- I'm already planning on new gas (with fuel system cleaner), cleaning up the brakes (they got pretty corroded), and conditioning the tires, but anything else i should consider doing before it becomes a cold weather daily driver?

--if it matters, it's been sitting for about 2 years

Old 11-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Change oil because it sounds like the car had been sitting for a minute and keeping your oil good is the 4th most important thing to keep up on your vehicle. Change antifreeze (flush cooling system too if you can) because keeping up your cooling system is the 3rd post important thing to do to your vehicle. The 1st and 2nd most important things to keep maintained on your vehicle are the braking system and tires but you already said you were going to check those out. Besides that, a good set of windshield wipers and you should be good to go. Safe journeys

Last edited by nizzle; 11-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM

I was wondering if i should take it as far as flushing the diff. systems (trans fluid, coolant, etc.) Oil change is a given, but i wouldn't have thought about the wipers. Thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man setting for 2 years & started right up first try

Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

A TWO YEAR SIT!!! What the heck!!
Yes, change the oil, ABSOLUTELY. And FLUSH the coolant!!
- Change Oil and filter
- Flush Coolant (if it's a 3800 powered Monte, may be a good time to change the little plastic elbows)
- Inspect the Belt, replace as needed
- Change fuel filter
- Change air filter
- At minimum, use a turkey baster (like from the dollar store), suck out as much old power steering and brake fluid, top off with good clean stuff (maximum, do a full flush of those systems)
- If you drive on primarily flat land, you can probably skip the trans fluid/filter change until about 100,000 miles. BUT, when it comes time to do the trans, drop the pan, change the fluid and the filter (some people skip and have a shop flush the trans, but leave the old filter).
- If you are over 100,000 miles, consider changing plugs and wires just for good measure.
- May also want to explore changing the up stream O2 if you are over 100,000 miles.

That's the big list. Outside of that, inspect the brakes (rotors/pads) and tires. I would not worry about surface rust on the rotors, take it for a drive and make a couple hard stops and see if the rust burns off and how the brakes work. May also want to inspect the brake lines for possible leaks.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Sitting that long why! lol I would have taken it!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Maniac pretty much covered it all. As far as the brakes go make sure you check them out well. The last thing you want to do is have them fail when you need them most. You may want to just change the pads and rotors if you can.
Now lets see some pics of this second monte.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Maniac, such a great member.
Always on top, kudos!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Picturesss!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM

thanks everyone. I don't really know why i've left it sitting so long. It is the first car I ever bought, and after someone pulled out in front of me, it was declared totaled which is when i got my 06. When I got it, i tried making it into an "SS" (which i know sounds kinda dumb), so i don't post alot of pictures of it on here. When I get her outta my parents place and start driving it, i'll def. get more pictures.

Thanks for the info . . . . any more suggestions are

Quick Reply: Winter Monte!