General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Why did Chevy do this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM

I wouldnt mind see a Z34 Monte again. =]

Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a cavalier Z-24 before I lost my leg...
It too was also triple black 2.4 ... 5 speed car... I like the ground effects package and it handled relatively well for what it was. More like a "Sport suspension Package" I loved that car!... Naturally when I lost my leg I had to sell the car... But ended up giving it to my younger brother.. Since despite my best efforts to continue to drive it .... It was nearly impossible.

Thus I had to buy a new car.... My Monte Carlo Z-34...

I explained to the dealer, That I wanted something sporty, With wide opening doors to enable me to get in and out easily wearing my prostetic leg...
I told him also I wanted something that wasn't a grocery getter.(4 door) like the lumina LTZ. Since Nascar was running the Lumina/Monte Carlo body style which is what I was kinda looking for. He suggested the Z-34 Monte Carlo. He told me it had the Best Motor you could get (3800 series II) That also had a somewhat sport package suspension... (The racing version of the Lumina LTZ.) It also came with a few more additions like leather interior, custom gauges (All that were available back then) etc...
the Goodyear RSA tires and the Aluminum Sport Wheels.

Why they called it a Z-34 VS an SS I have no idea....with the exception...That possibly the SS badge was only Meant for the V-8 Powered Models. That's my Best Guess.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 08-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always thought it was because of the Lumina Z34 and they were basically the same car

(SORRY 5TH GENS!)

Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

You guys are forgetting about the Z36 Berretta. The 5Th Gen Monte Carlo was a line replacement for the Berretta. Which I believe was discontinued in 94.
I had a Z24 Cavalier with a 5 speed. It was a nice car. I Also had a Cutlass Calia Quad Four. With a 5speed. That one came OEM with a header. Fastest 4 cylinder I've. Ever driven. I've always wondered way it didn't get a Z label.
Think about this though. With the 2014 Chevy SS, GM is now putting the SS on cars that asthetically don't Meet the SUPER SPORT legacy. So what if you got 400 hp under there Hood. If the car looks like it should be going to Soccer Practice or to Church on Sundays. GM is like politics, what make sense to them makes No sense to those of us who are their Dedicated Followers!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
the first 'Z' designation was given to a '63 'Vette that was track ready from the factory. The Z28 was also a race ready factory vehicle.
I kinda like that direction. I wonder if the 'Z' is related to:
- "Race Ready" from the factory
- Suspension options
- Was the car prepped in a way (drive train or suspension) that it came factory with Z rated tires?

I guess the difference comes into play, what is the difference really in an SS vs a Z model car.

Also, there was a Z71 truck. The 3rd gen Camaros have an interesting option line up:
'82-'84 - Z28 was the highest option
'85-'86 - Z28 was a 305 carb-ed H.O. engine. Upgrade to an IROC-Z and you had a 305 with throttle body injection. IROC-Z stood for IROC Z28.
'87-'90 - Z28 was phased out. Replaced with IROC (not IROC-Z). The IROC was a 350 fuel injected v8.
'91-'92 - IROC was dropped (as the International Race Of Champions dropped there sponsorship with Chevy) and the Z28 name plate returned, still packing a 350.
I don't recall what years the 3rd gen Camaro also had the RS option level (which I believe was just a 305, no 350).

It's really hard to say what the meaning behind the Z really is. But I really lean towards "race prepared", as in drag race. Perhaps SS, which is "Super Sport" is multi-race prepared (drag race or autocross).

Just some thoughts.

Or.... It could mean nothing at all, Chevy guys just like the letter Z lol.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I had a Z24 Cavalier with a 5 speed. It was a nice car. I Also had a Cutlass Calia Quad Four. With a 5speed. That one came OEM with a header. Fastest 4 cylinder I've. Ever driven. I've always wondered way it didn't get a Z label.
The reason the Cutlass did not get a Z is it appears the Z designations are for Chevys. The Cutlass was an Oldsmobile label.

And I agree the Quad4 was crazy fast for a 4-banger. Problem was it has a reputation for being one of GM's worst engines ever. So bad that when they figured out and resolve many design issues, they renamed it a "TwinCam" engine. My family had a 90's Grand Prix with a Quad4. They did not keep it long (my father got sick of fixing it).

Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM

• What does the "Z" mean? - GM Inside News Forum

<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-size: 14px !important; font-style: normal;">GM Inside News Forumdoes-z-mean-43804/</cite>‎

Jan 24, 2007 - "Z" as in Z06, Z34, Z28, Z71, Z66, etc. It has something to do with the suspension, doesn't it? But does the letter itself mean anything?

>Maybe he's right ? >..>Yes, Maybe ? (LOL)

Last edited by Space; 08-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

The only problem I had with the Quad 4 was the head gasket. Very cheep construction. But once I got that taken care of it was a champ, till my brother in law totaled it!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member

Hi all, well I do know this that the z's came with special suspension packages and that's the main thing that differentiates them from an ss model. The first z28 in 1967 was designed for the sole purpose of competing in the Sports Car Club of America's Trans-Am 2nd class. This was back when all the manufacturers knew how important bragging rights were to potential muscle car buyers. The car was going up against the best muscle cars Ford, Chrysler, AMC etc could turn out. Thus the emphasis on the suspension. The z's were designed for road course racing (auto cross etc) while the ss were designed more with an emphasis on straight line speed and motor. The ss was your drag racing car so to speak. Being a car fan I'd personally rather have the car with the better suspension because you can out run most anything when you have superior handling. Plus better handling cars are more fun to drive. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by Griffindor; 08-22-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Hi `Griff & thanks for creating your super active thread..It sure created a lot of activity on the MCF > & that's good 4-Sure...
Thanks for your 2 cents + + +

Yes, handling is a major component of any powerful vehicle...
Thanks for your post(s) & all your contributions..We Enjoyed, even though we can't seem to get the exact answer to where all the "Z's" came from Maybe, there isn't an answer ? Maybe, it's a secret ? LOL

Sorry MCF `Space it's a Secret, now please stop bombing my office with your emails or I'll tell `TAZ >
"Z-StingRay

Quick Reply: Why did Chevy do this?