General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Who here bouth their Monte brand new/slightly used and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I only buy coupes and I bought my 03 Monte Carlo SS because I didn't want to own another Grand Prix Coupe - it was also my first Chevy!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM

About two years ago, I was looking for cheap transportation under $3,000. Everything I looked at in the $2,000- $3,000 range was junk. One day, I came across a Craigslist add for a 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 for $3,000. I checked it out and it was pretty clean - only 86,000 miles. Now I own it.

I like the ride - firm, handles nice. It has decent acceleration and gas mileage.

Plus, I already own a 96 Lumina that I've become real familiar with (systems, repairs, etc) and since everything on the Monte is pretty much interchangeable with the Lumina, I figured I be able to fix any issues that crop up.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 PM

I fell in love with the Monte Carlo when I was 5 yrs old when my father picked the new 79 off the lot and drove it home. My name is Carlos and as a kid use feel it was named for me just short a letter !!!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM

I bought mine used last year with 43k miles on it. I bought it because my first car back in high school was an 85SS. I sold it for $1k(kicks self in the butt) when I left for basic training with 280k miles on it and still running like a champ.
Since I sold that one I always wanted another but could never afford it. I finally managed to get my ducks in a row(and put on more rank ) so when I could finally afford another one, 8 years later, I bought her.
So far she's been a great car and I plan on keeping it until it falls apart on me. It's named after Athena, the goddess of war The war between mustangs is never ending!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I only buy coupes and I bought my 03 Monte Carlo SS because I didn't want to own another Grand Prix Coupe - it was also my first Chevy!
I love coupes! I'm not a huge four door fan at all really. After owning a Grnad Prix and obviously still owning a Monte. I would have to say choosing a Monte over a Grand Prix was a good choice! What a great first Chevy too!! Thanks for sharing Amy.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JaxJim
About two years ago, I was looking for cheap transportation under $3,000. Everything I looked at in the $2,000- $3,000 range was junk. One day, I came across a Craigslist add for a 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 for $3,000. I checked it out and it was pretty clean - only 86,000 miles. Now I own it.

I like the ride - firm, handles nice. It has decent acceleration and gas mileage.

Plus, I already own a 96 Lumina that I've become real familiar with (systems, repairs, etc) and since everything on the Monte is pretty much interchangeable with the Lumina, I figured I be able to fix any issues that crop up.
It is hard to find a nice cheap car these days. Glad the one you found was a Monte! To me it sounds like you found a good deal on a low mile Monte.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigPana
I fell in love with the Monte Carlo when I was 5 yrs old when my father picked the new 79 off the lot and drove it home. My name is Carlos and as a kid use feel it was named for me just short a letter !!!
It is always great to get a car that reminds you of Family! Unless of course you're tlaking about my family who mainly has owned Buicks Plus its pratically in your name!!! How cool is that!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 06athena
I bought mine used last year with 43k miles on it. I bought it because my first car back in high school was an 85SS. I sold it for $1k(kicks self in the butt) when I left for basic training with 280k miles on it and still running like a champ.
Since I sold that one I always wanted another but could never afford it. I finally managed to get my ducks in a row(and put on more rank ) so when I could finally afford another one, 8 years later, I bought her.
So far she's been a great car and I plan on keeping it until it falls apart on me. It's named after Athena, the goddess of war The war between mustangs is never ending!
280k!!! thats a lot of quality time with a Monte. I can totally understand the reasoning for wanting another one there. Thanks for sharing man. And of course thanks for serving our country!!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got mine brand new, but bought my 2006 in June of 2007. It had well under 100 miles on it, and because it was a year old, sitting in the back, it was heavily discounted! Loved the look, power, and comfort!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM

The name Monte Carlo attracted me and the style of it is just different. My stepdad had a friend come over to our house and he was mentioning this incredible car shop that rebuilds muscle and classic cars. I went to visit his shop and saw an old challenger with a fresh motor and paint job and wanted it until he told me the price lol, about 45k out of my spending limit... I walked around and viewed all of his cars but I really couldnt afford ANYTHING until I saw the Monte parked behind the shop collecting dust. I asked him what was wrong and he said nothing he rebuilt the motor and fixed it (previously totalled) for someone and they couldnt pay him so he legally took the car until they gave up the title. Being that it was totalled no one really wanted it and it had been there for over a year. We talked some numbers and by the end of the day I set up a payment plan of $500 a week until I pay it off. I worked 84 hours every week and still missed some payments because $500 is a lot, plus I never even drove it, I left it at the shop. After about 4 1/2 months I finally paid it off and the look on my face when my mom drove it home was a true kodak moment. I feel as though I overpayed for it but I love my car and love doesnt really have a price. My boss cracks jokes all the time about it being a FWD V6 but I always ask him, How many times has your truck left you on the side of the road? His Dodge Ram literally has a mailbox set-up at his mechanics shop. About 32k miles later im still rolling with 162k miles and never been stuck on the side of the road! Also we had a lot of rain and where we park for work is super muddy and for lunch everyone was mud riding including me in my Monte, didnt even get stuck in sloppy mud! I did learn to never follow behind a Silverado in the mud with my window down lol.

Quick Reply: Who here bouth their Monte brand new/slightly used and why?