General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Whipple status update

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Any updates on the RWD conversion idea? This all looks to be working for your transverse mounting.
The cooling and IC upgrades will be for either configuration, so that's why I'm spending a bit more time getting things right there.

No real updates with that part yet though, as its still a ways out. I haven't driven the monte in probably 2 years now, so the #1 goal now is to get it back driving again. I'd like to keep it that way for awhile so I can enjoy it again before I start tearing things apart for a RWD build.

Order of precedence right now is:
-finish fwd build to get monte back on road
-finish fixing camaro, and do a quicky paint job so it's all 1 color (mostly so I can park it outside without the HOA getting on me- so I can get the GP GXP back in the garage), and so I can drive it occasionally in the meantime
-CSC the vette
-RWD the monte
-finish body work, paint the monte

Who made the adaptor for the whipple to the I/C

Looks like a nice piece of billet

Or is it a one-off kinda thing
It's a little bit of each. The top and bottom plates are off the shelf parts from Yella Terra in Australia. It's from their 3800 whipple kit. Unfortunately, the IC core that comes in their kit is pretty thin - only about 1.5" thick.

So in order to upgrade to the 3" core, PRJ Performance custom machined the big spacer in the center of the two adapter halves. Here's a couple more pics if you're interested:

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Order of precedence right now is:
-finish fwd build to get monte back on road
-finish fixing camaro, and do a quicky paint job so it's all 1 color (mostly so I can park it outside without the HOA getting on me- so I can get the GP GXP back in the garage), and so I can drive it occasionally in the meantime
-CSC the vette
-RWD the monte
-finish body work, paint the monte
You will love that CSC on the Corvette

I'm even thinking of putting one on my new Camaro with 2 PCMs so I can remove it for the winter.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:41 PM

That's cool, thanks for the pictures. I'm a big fan of billet pieces haha

Should make some good power.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Beautiful work. Your Monte is freaking awesome and it will be great to see it on the road again. And so many toysssssssss ftmfw

Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
15 Year Member

You will love that CSC on the Corvette

I'm even thinking of putting one on my new Camaro with 2 PCMs so I can remove it for the winter.
Yeah, they seem to be the most popular option. The turbo setups are much more expensive- and difficult to install. The roots/twin screw blowers tend to be more expensive too since the head units are more pricey, and they usually need a hood.

Seems like people make really good power with the larger head units too!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 AM
15 Year Member

Sorry for the lack of updates all. I was in Hawaii for a little over a week on vacation (Oahu - Waikiki mostly), and then I was on work travel for a big part of last week.

This weekend was supposedly the first and last day of the local drag strip being open (after being shut down almost all year) since the new company is going to work on refurbing it for a December re-open. So I decided to go to that to relax a bit. They didn't have timing equipment (ran off arm drops), but it was something fun to do anyways.

The normal Saturday night car show up in Scottsdale was great as always. Saw my first Ariel Atom, and some weird 2 tandem seat street legal F1 type thing (powered by a Chrysler V6 I believe). Also saw a positive displacement SC'd WRX, and a 1000+ whp TT C6 vette.

Hope to get back wrenching on the car again this week since the weather is so nice, so hopefully more updates will be on their way!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
15 Year Member

Been a little while. Some small updates:

Got the finish welding done on the IC HE, and painted it.

Installed the two IC fans, and got them wired into the harness.

Bent up the lower ABS air dam to deflect the post IC air into the main radiator.

Made up two side ABS air dams to force the air into the main radiator (so it doesn't go around the sides with the A/C radiator gone).

Welded up the trans cooler, and connected it.

Made up an ABS trim piece with rubber grommets to hold the trans lines and power wires securely so they don't bounce around or chafe anything passing through into the fenderwell area.

Repainted the coil pack bracket, and reinstalled it. Turns out I had a mix of L67 and L36 coil packs (never noticed the color difference on the bottom). I've got them all switched to L67 now.

Tried to reinstall the alternator and tensioner bracket. It doesn't fit. The front brace on the 97-98 style alternator goes right in front of one of the IC coolant ports.

Started putting some of the wiring back in.

Repainting the dogbones and mounts, currently in primer. Plan to just paint them a clean gloss black (along with the side bars and STB when I get to them).

Basically down to two major hurdles:
-TB setup. Need to modify TB to work with the sensors I have for it, need to figure out cable routing, need to figure out boost bypass mounting and plumbing.
-Gas tank. I haven't really touched it since I had issues bolting it back up last year. It looks like I'm going to have to switch from my original plan of fuel injection hose to connect it to the hard line to something slimmer- more like the OEM hard plastic line.

Name:  DSC02412_zpsb6e908b6.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  DSC02414_zps19d36234.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  98.7 KB

Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
15 Year Member

I made a little more progress today. I got the pcm cleaned up as best I could (using Aluminum Jelly to remove the oxidation), and reinstalled it. I also got one dogbone/mount set painted and cleared. Lastly, I got a tube fitted to the boost bypass so I have a place to attach the bypass valve plumbing to (it's a tight fit for 4 ply silicone hose + a tbolt clamp- I had to shave the hose a bit to fit).

Old 03-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That engine looks amazing so far.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Always love seeing the progress

Quick Reply: Whipple status update