General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Where should I mount my new tach :) !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Either pic. 1, or cut out that vent on the right side of the cluster, and mount it in there...just a thought..

Last edited by 02ssLE; 09-14-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

I like the way you think about that vent. I'm about to actually go install it in a few minutes and see where I end up doing. I think thos vents just pop out of place according to the haynes manual. I thought about it and having it on top of the dash or on the pillar would attract the wrong attention, not only from cops but also someonone walking by and sees a decent tach the'll smash the window and grab it. If its off in the middle to the right of the cluster it doesnt catch the eye much from the outside. I'll post some pics up tonight guys. Thanks for all the ideas.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Alright guys all finished!!!!! here is how it came out and you can follow what I did. I drilled 4 holes into the side (after taking the face off to make sure i didnt drill into the dummy lights). I installed the bracket at an angle i like. I put rubber feet underneath and it helpe with the movement when i went over bumps. The tach didnt even as much jiggle over the biggest bumps. I ran the wires down my non tilt steering column. I ran the illumination along the ignition switch meaning the tach light will be on as long as the car as running. I didnt want to tap into the cluster wiring just for now. I ran the ground and a wire into the engine bay. I grounded it on the firewall and the tach lead i actually tapped into the tach cable right before the filter from the stock wire. I just cut the wire right before the tach filter and spliced it there. I plugged the ignition wire into the IGN fuse under the dash. Here is how everything came out.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It looks great! Why do you need two tachs though? It looks like the original works.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM

HAH! about that. The darn thing never worked until i installed the new tach. It doesn't read accurately and it has erratic signals all over. I checked the filter and the ground, both fine. I checked the connection at the distributor, also fine. I took the tach out and tested it on a 12v supply and a signal and it read all over the place so the tach is just bad. By chance it'll be coincidence that it reads 750-850 rpm while at idle but driving its either sitting at 5 grand or all the way to the bottom so i decided to un plug it. Down the road i have a plan for a full aftermarket autometer cluster and a new dash. Re upholster the seats. This winter i'm going to wire brush the entire bottom of the monte and undercoat it. As its my only car i have to drive it for this winter. I will how ever not be driving it if there is snow on the ground i will be using the girl's car (dodge stratus bleh). This car is actually coming along great. All the little things that were wrong to begin with i have fixed or replaced. I didnt have grommets for the distributor cable and the ground for it unfortunately so after i drilled a small hole right behind the dash on the firewall, i sprayed it with rubbercoat, and wrapped the wire in electrical tape for extra protection and siliconed it. My next mod is going to have to be a tint job. I love the stock wheels so i'm keeping those. And the well forseen 350 swap if this 305 ever craps the bed. I might do a open air system before the tint job as my next mod but not sure yet. Id also love a 4" cowl hood but i dont know anyone selling these for under 500 so that'll wait. Next year though i'm going to start a real plan on getting her a paint job. Black again, but not sure if i'll be doing the stripes again though. Its far from now to think about it.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM

looks great man! nice mounting choice!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Looks great!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys! I was gonna Remove the panels and hid the wires by running them behind the shadowbox when I was like wait, why dont I just drill a hole uner te tach mount and run the cables through that! Also if you noticed I wrapped the cables coming out of the tach with extra wide electrical tape so it looks like just one big cable rather than 4 separate ones.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Looks good

It's probably the most practical spot to mount it, these things really limit the posibilities

I may have a shadow box for sale soon here, it's brown and hole less, just a thought for future plans if you decide to do the gauges inside the bezel