General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Where is the fuse for the radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Default Where is the fuse for the radio?

This afternoon my son, 13, and I went out to do the Big 3 upgrade to my car, that went wonderful. Then I decided to flip my sub box around so they are firing towards the deck lid. To do that I had to remove power/remote/ground from the amp that's mounted on the box, make a longer ground lead and then reinstall them. Well we got to the reinstallation part and my son got in the car and folded the back seat down so he could see and attach the wires as needed. I was standing at the trunk and we did it one wire at a time.

I felt for and identified the receptacles on the amp where they went and was holding the power lead in my hand, I pointed out the receptacle to him and asked him to confirm if the top one said "power", he confirmed it did so we connected it. I knew the middle one was remote so we connected it, then he confirmed the bottom one said "ground" or "gnd" so we connected it. I then proceeded to put the box in it's place and cleaned out my trunk, put away some tools and then finally got in the car to give it a listen to see if it sounded any different than with the subs firing into the back seat.

Boy did it sound different! It was silent, the radio wouldn't turn on and the car wouldn't start. I then looked at the connections on the amp and sure enough, they were crossed. I quickly disconnected them and then check voltage of my batteries...9v. Shortly after I heard a relay clicking like crazy and traced it to the dash, it was the lower battery voltage protection relay. I pulled my gf car over and jumped it and all is fine now but the radio still won't power up.

I looked at all 3 fuse boxes and was unable to find a fuse for it, anybody know where I could find it?

Also, the shop who installed the amp had tapped into the factory amp power lead to get power to my sub amp, think by crossing the power and ground that I may have damaged something in there causing the radio to not come on? Everything else works but the radio.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Is there a Fuse on the back of the radio itself? Im not sure if you are using a factory radio or an aftermarket but I know that some aftermarket ones have a fuse right on the back.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Is there a Fuse on the back of the radio itself? Im not sure if you are using a factory radio or an aftermarket but I know that some aftermarket ones have a fuse right on the back.
Doh! Factory radio.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM

bump

I'd like to get this figured out today if possible so any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

anybody?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 PM

nvm....when I was originally looking for the fuse I was in a panic as my car wouldn't start and I was getting a constant clicking sound from a relay and I had no clue where or why. I went out yesterday, after getting no response here, to look for it again and found it. It was on the passenger side of the dash, the same place the low battery voltage relay is. I looked there too, but like I said, I was in a panic.

According to the panel, it's supposed to be a 15a fuse in there, I had a 25 in mine but replaced it with a 15a. All is well.

Riding around w/o music for 3 days was horrible.