General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

when is the monte carlo coming back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Question when is the monte carlo coming back?

I am interested to know if anyone has heard any rumors about when or if the monte is coming back? If this thread already exists please point me in that direction

Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Monte#3
I am interested to know if anyone has heard any rumors about when or if the monte is coming back? If this thread already exists please point me in that direction

We have had this discussion in another thread but it has been awhile. At that time there was a lot of concept drawings but no real indications from Chevy that they were willing to bring it back. I think the Camaro is doing so well that it wouldn't leave room for the Monte to be successful, but who knows?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the Monte ever comes back, I think it will be a long time from now. Sadly, the Monte is dead.

Keep in mind, around the time the Monte ended, GM was in process of slimming down it's offerings. It killed off brands like Saturn, Pontiac and a few others to focus on brands that at a global scale were profitable. Pontiac was a big brand in the USA, but globally, Buick out performed.

With focusing on few brands, they also slimmed some of their car offerings. They were resurrecting the Camaro, the GTO (re-badged Holden Monaro) was being sent to pasture. I suspect the Monte did not sell as well as it's sibling car, the Impala. Space for coupes, especially v8 powered coupes were limited and sadly, the Monte faded out.

Perhaps some day GM will bring the Monte back.... Perhaps the Chevelle might make a return. But I am not holding my breath. The Camaro and Corvette is the focus for performance cars in GM's line up. Thanks to the internet, countless people photoshop concept cars of what they think a new Monte or Chevelle or other GM legendary car could look like today and it gets some Internet hype, but none of this is from GM.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks to you both for your replies this is what I thought but am always hopeful it will come back one day... if not I guess I will just keep finding used!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Too much '2-door' competition for the Camaro within their own brand. There's been speculation from the public but nothing from GM. When the question does arise to them directly, they do acknowledge that there's no plans to revive the Monte Carlo anytime soon.

The sucky thing is I think the Camaro is doing 'so well' that GM is hesitant on doing an actual full redesign of the car which it badly needs after 9 years since it's come back. All they've been doing is mild refreshes while maintaining the car's overall shape. And this latest refresh for 2019 is disgusting looking but still maintains the prior 9-year shape.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 07-05-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Too much '2-door' competition for the Camaro within their own brand. There's been speculation from the public but nothing from GM. When the question does arise to them directly, they do acknowledge that there's no plans to revive the Monte Carlo anytime soon.

The sucky thing is I think the Camaro is doing 'so well' that GM is hesitant on doing an actual full redesign of the car which it badly needs after 9 years since it's come back. All they've been doing is mild refreshes while maintaining the car's overall shape. And this latest refresh for 2019 is disgusting looking but still maintains the prior 9-year shape.

I was actually telling the wife that yesterday. We were at a parade and we saw a bunch of new Camaros. I could tell which ones were older and which ones were newer (slimmed down headlights). They really do need a refresher.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM

The thing is, the two cars sat side by side in the lineup for 18 years, and both sold plenty. In fact, the Monte usually outsold the Camaro. All it would take for the two-door market to revive is for the automakers to actually market it, instead of just pumping out crossovers. (If the crossover market had even existed when the Monte was made,they'd still be making the Aztek.)

The public never actually demanded infotainment, or adaptive cruise control, or lane changing alerts, or anything else that our cars don't have and that every car "must" have now. The automakers dreamed it up and forced it down customers' throats as a way to raise the price of the cars.

Chevy can do the same thing with a luxurious, rear-wheel drive, performance car that has visibility and a real rear seat. It just has to want to.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
The thing is, the two cars sat side by side in the lineup for 18 years, and both sold plenty. In fact, the Monte usually outsold the Camaro. All it would take for the two-door market to revive is for the automakers to actually market it, instead of just pumping out crossovers. (If the crossover market had even existed when the Monte was made,they'd still be making the Aztek.)

The public never actually demanded infotainment, or adaptive cruise control, or lane changing alerts, or anything else that our cars don't have and that every car "must" have now. The automakers dreamed it up and forced it down customers' throats as a way to raise the price of the cars.

Chevy can do the same thing with a luxurious, rear-wheel drive, performance car that has visibility and a real rear seat. It just has to want to.
Yeah this is all very true actually. Times have changed and the SUV and crossover market is huge now, not to mention pickups. Take Ford for example - they aren't investing in new generations of cars for the North American market - all due to slow sales and low margin car models. That means no more Taurus, Fusion, etc. The only cars Ford will make are the Mustang and the new 2019 Focus 'Active Crossover'.

And I agree, I could do without all the fancy features. I get it for safety reasons but it's also basically making it so the driver can rely more and more on the car to do stuff, which in my opinion is a scary thing to think about. So naturally people think they can do other things while driving because the car can 'look out' for you and 'stay in the lane' or 'brake by itself'. Distracted driving is a huge issue now. The bigger issue here is what happens when all this electronic 'candy' starts failing? Sounds like frustrating, expensive fixes.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 07-05-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
And I agree, I could do without all the fancy features. I get it for safety reasons but it's also basically making it so the driver can rely more and more on the car to do stuff, which in my opinion is a scary thing to think about. So naturally people think they can do other things while driving because the car can 'look out' for you and 'stay in the lane' or 'brake by itself'. Distracted driving is a huge issue now. The bigger issue here is what happens when all this electronic 'candy' starts failing? Sounds like frustrating, expensive fixes.
Agree 100%. Some of this high tech stuff is so unnecessary. I don't want it in my car. Especially stuff that can be hacked into remotely.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Yeah this is all very true actually. Times have changed and the SUV and crossover market is huge now, not to mention pickups. Take Ford for example - they aren't investing in new generations of cars for the North American market - all due to slow sales and low margin car models. That means no more Taurus, Fusion, etc. The only cars Ford will make are the Mustang and the new 2019 Focus 'Active Crossover'.

Frustrating, expensive fixes are the goal. Dealers make most of their money on service, not new car sales.

Quick Reply: when is the monte carlo coming back?