General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

whats in the future for chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

I would honestly think the only viable option right now would be to take an existing platform that is 4 door only, and add a 2 door version named the monte (kinda like the lumina/monte of the late 90's)- but leaving the bulk of the parts and styling the same with only a few minor differences (mostly just the # of doors and the changes that requires)- that would be the most cost effective route, while still adding the potential to secure a slightly larger market. That would probably put it on the wbody- using the Impala as its sister, and then you'd end up with a car that isn't too much different from what it was before they canceled it.

Sounds like what you're suggesting is to revive the Monte Carlo very similar to what it was for 2000-2007, where it shared the W-body platform with the Impala, and was essentially an Impala coupe, also similar to the 1990's Lumina/Monte.

What I think is that a lot of people, nowadays anyway, don't like two door cars as much as they used to. They complain of how long they are, have trouble getting out of them in parking lots, more likely to bang them on another car, have trouble getting in the backseat, door is too heavy. So since the Impala and Monte Carlo were the same car people opted to have the more "practical" car while a few stuck with the sportier and slightly less "practical" car.

I think they could revive the Monte, bringing it back to share the same platform as the Impala. The Monte would stay FWD of course; the only way it would survive is if they produced it in small enough numbers and gave it enough changes to set it apart from the Impala, made it a more elegant Impala more or less, but mostly the same. In 2007 the Impala and Monte were virtually identical inside and out, save the rear end and the 2 door vs 4 door, if they could set the two cars apart just a bit more I think it'd have a chance. That's my take.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

I agree- that's a lot of extra design and a lot of extra money. Only way I see that being remotely feasible is for a car designed for AWD, and having the option to buy it in a FWD or RWD version also. Designing a FWD and a RWD car in 1 model would mean you'd have 1 name on 2 platforms; and would also drastically increase the cost.
Exactly. Like the new Ford Taurus SHO, available in FWD or AWD.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Sounds like what you're suggesting is to revive the Monte Carlo very similar to what it was for 2000-2007, where it shared the W-body platform with the Impala, and was essentially an Impala coupe, also similar to the 1990's Lumina/Monte.

Exactly- not saying its a good idea- but I just don't see them making 2 RWD 2 doors on the same chassis; and I don't see them designing a new RWD chassis from scratch just to bring back the monte. That's just the simplest and cheapest way I could see them bringing it back.