General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Curb Rash!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy Curb Rash!

Took a corner a little too sharp yesterday and caught a "curb" made from odd shaped rocks.

Scraped up the rocker panel, a took a nice gouge out of the coating on the rim.

Shop wants 250 to strip, sand prime, paint and clear the rocker. I asked about the rock chipped hood (pretty horrid shape) and dents and paint scratches in the passenger door (the fender got bent and scratched the paint off the leading edge of the door in one spot) he said a total of about $2k to strip sand, prime, paint and clear the hood, both fenders, passenger door and the rocker panel, that includes removing all the parts from the car for painting.

So, my question to my MCF brethren is, are those two prices reasonable for the work that needs to be done?

Attached Thumbnails Curb Rash!-img_0597%5B1%5D.jpg   Curb Rash!-img_0598%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Ouch!!!

I think 2k is a bit too much.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

It sure sounds like alot, but really, its not THAT bad. I would see if you could find a better price at another shop. Maybe 1200-1500 sounds more reasonable but then again it is alot of material being used for the repair, not to mention the labor to strip the hood. If it were me, instead of having them strip the entire hood, ask if they can feather edge out the chips and then primer. I dont know how bad your hood is, but I cant imagine there are that many chips towards the back of the hood enough to warrant an entire strip.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM

The front half of the hood is pretty bad, and the chips extend back about 3/4 to 4/5 of the way to the windshield. It's bad, but i don't know if its $2000 bad, i could almost live with that. After all, another $900 and I could get that turbo setup I've been dreaming of since 2008, show or go, hmmm.

Also, the quoted labor was around 20 hours for disassembly, the painting process and reassembly for the full front end and passenger side. I do actually like that he wants to go all the way, and not just mask off to make it faster.

Last edited by saigashooter; 07-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

If the hood is that bad, forget trying to fix it and get your self another hood. It might be cheaper.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

See how good his work is on other cars he has done. It's not just the price, it is the quality of job you get for it, you know the old saying "You get what you pay for". Someone may be alot cheaper but how good is their work? How important is that to you?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

wow don't feel bad i done same thing as you too. was going through atm machine at my bank. since my car is lowered the bottom side of the rocker panel scrape on the damn curb. lucky it's under the panel which kind of hide it. my front passenger side bullit lip scraped on the curb too while backing up trying to photo shoot. it's a sore eyes to look at them but i saw worst which is why i can live with it lol.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

At least your Monte is silver, I have a rocker mark like that from the previous owner! I can only afford to paint sections of my car at a time. Next section is front bumper...

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Montelicious is spot on. I'd rather pay more up front for a quality repair than pay again in 3-5 years to fix the same thing only worse.

I think as bad as I want to fix the whole shabang, I'll just do the rocker for now, 2 grand is a lot to come up with on short notice, and I don't want a loan to repaint my car

Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I also scraped the side ground effects at the bank when I first got the 03. My 05 was hit in a parking lot last Nov and I had my hood replaced and painted by an excellent shop, and my hood already has some paint chips on it. I invested in a front end cover. This car's front end is so prone to rock chips by the way is swoops down in the front. Almost as bad as the Mini Cooper.

Quick Reply: Curb Rash!