General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

FAQ: What is my Monte/Car Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What is my Monte/Car Worth?

This is a common question that plagues not just MCF.com, but many car forums. Many times we have seen people join MCF.com just to ask this question and multiple times the same answer is provided. I hope by building this thread, it helps many car owners find the answer to this question.

Joining a forum like MCF.com, with the only purpose to get a value for your car is probably not the most helpful way to get a direct answer to that question.
  • Odds are none of the active members are in the business of appraising cars.
  • Many of us are enthusiasts and current owners and enjoying our Montes. We could provided a ball park value, but that really is not sufficient to blanket answer a question of what a Monte is worth.
  • Values can fluctuate depending where you live.
Since this is a common question, here are some tips based on answers to this question before to help determine what your Monte is worth:
  • Know your car!! Know what options it has, know what engine is (sometimes knowing it's a v6 is NOT enough, which model v6). How many miles are on it? Is it low or high miles (typically average miles are considered 12,000 a year)? Does it currently have any service issues? Is the body or undercarriage rotting out or still solid? What kind of title does it currently have? Such as is it a "clean" title, never salvaged/totaled/rebuilt or does the title hold a blemish from being totaled at some point? Was it involved in an accident before or during your ownership?
  • Side note #1: Knowledge and/or evidence of an accident and resulting repair to the car almost always results in lowering the vehicle value. In general, this is because the car is NOT factory anymore. A prospective buyer may have questions/concerns over the quality of the parts and the repair that was done (even if a reputable shop did the work).
  • Side note #2: If the car was ever totaled and re-titled, this can have a large impact on the value. Remember, at the core, the term "total loss" means the cost of repair is greater then the current estimated value for the car. When a totaled vehicle is rebuilt and re-titled many people are concerned with the quality of the repairs since insurance was not involved in paying for the repairs at a reputable shop. As a result, many insurance companies do not want to offer full coverage on the car for concern the car is now "high risk". I personally have a lot of issues with the insurance aspect of this (as I first hand had a car repaired by a "reputable" shop my insurance recommended, they cut numerous corners, resulting in a second shop to finally do the job right). With the age of the Montes on the road, a total loss can sometimes be damage that just required a new hood and fender.
  • Do mods add to the value? This is a common question. My opinion, in general, is that you are best planning on "no, they don't add value". Mods only add value to the car if a potential buyer wants those mods. In some cases, a modified vehicle can ward off possible buyers (concerns about the work involved in the mods and if they may inherit someone's "problem project"). It really depends on your audience. If you feel you should get more for the car as a result of the mods, you are well in your right to ask for a little more money, but you may want to be willing to negotiate on a lower amount that negates the mods. Again, this has been a heavily debated topic.
  • Side note #3: You can consider demodding the car and returning it to it's stock condition. Something to consider, given the age of these cars and their platforms, what is the current market for those mods and is it worth the time to de-mod it.
  • My Monte is a Limited Edition, does that make it worth more? Another common question. Speaking for the 2000-2007 years, limited edition badges and words on these cars relate to an appearance package. The drivetrain, suspension and other mechanics are the same as the non-limited edition models. That being said, the answer to this question is much like the answer to having mods, it all depends on your audience. Some people are after those models and are willing to pay more, others just want a nice Monte and this does not affect how much they want to pay. As I understand, the term "limited edition" on these cars were limited to a specific year that package was offered, but during that year GM would make as many of that package as people were willing to order (DO NOT take my word on that statement, please do some additional research regarding the car you are working with).
  • Side note #4: If you do own a limited edition Monte (such as a Pace Car or a Nascar signature edition), it is best to have the COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) with it when selling the car. This validates what production number the car was out of the total produced for it. If you don't have it, you can attempt contacting GM customer service. Some people have been told they will not re-produce the COA while other members here claim a COA was re-issued. Regardless, GM can validate some basic information about your Monte and it's limited edition status.
  • Side note #5: Back to knowing your car, if you believe you have a special/limited edition Monte, make sure you do. Over the years, some people get cheap, knock-off pace car like decals, throw them on and try to pass the car off as a pace car. It has also been common to slap a #3 or Intimidator decal on the car and attempt to pass the car off as if it was a Dale Earnhart Sr. car. Same can be said about any of the other Nascar signature models, but Dale Earnhart Sr/Intimidator are the most common names faked on these cars. Also be sure if you car is an SS that ist really is a GM issued SS (not a car that someone stuck an SS badge on). This protects you when presenting the car.
  • Check Kelly Blue Book (KBB.com) and look at the private party value. Please keep in mind, this is NOT the end-all be-all to the value of your car. This is a "ball park" value, it gives you a very rough idea, from there you need to still do some additional research.
  • Do a "reality" check. Look at other listings for a comparable car (mileage, options, age) and see what other people are asking for them. Keep in mind, if you see many comparable cars going for one dollar amount and then one that is going for a really high dollar amount, look at why that one is so high (sometimes it's someone over pricing the car, if that is the case, you really don't want to use that one as you are trying to figure out car values). Good locations to check: Craigslist, eBay, AutoTrader, classifieds in the local newspaper, used car dealers and any other similar resources.
Hopefully these are all good tips to getting a value for your car and selling it. If you are car shopping and looking to determine how much you should be able to use the same information.

If an item was missed, I encourage other people to respond and add some advice to this thread. Hopefully it covers all or most common questions.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Good write up!!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:49 PM

I go to KBB from time to time just to check the value. I don't know why others looking for the value wouldn't do the same. I've thought about selling it here and there, but it's been such a great car that I'll probably just run it until it can't go anymore.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

What are your thoughts on the NADA for car "worth"
I was surprised today by their figures for my 03 ss w/ 150K vs a 07ss w/ 125k
was around a $4000 difference... personally with 125K a vehicle is getting to a place where some repairs are going to be needed, brakes come to mind.
I lost interest in the 07 priced at $9000 v my 03 at $5000 with new brakes drilled roters new calipers and covers, new wheels and tires. I also paid 1000 to have lower intake gasket and up replaced with aluminum gaskets and aluminum coolant elbows.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My opinion is that NADA is another bench marking tool like KBB.com.

Something I don't believe I touched on was recent repairs/up-keep on a car (such as the LIM gaskets, tires or brakes for example). This is almost like looking at mods on a car, some people see it as a plus, others might not. Depends on the buyer. Such as some people would rather buy a car with the bad LIM gaskets and fix it them selves Since I wrench on my own cars, it does not take me long to change LIM gaskets and I can do it for less then a shop, bake that into an offer I might present a seller and it could be a win for both parties (seller does not have to get it fixed and I get a few bucks off on a good deal). But to someone else it may be a relief it's done as they don't have to worry about it.

You also have to remember, maintenance and repair items are all part of the cost of ownership. For example, the condition you keep the car for maintenance/repairs plays into if it's fair/good/excellent. Outside of that, more then likely, does not add value beyond that part of your bench mark.

Best thing to do is inspect actual listings for comparable cars. If you see a bunch of near identical cars like yours but they are on bald tires and yours sits on brand new, that could make it worth asking a couple extra buck (but I don't believe it's reasonable to expect that you are going to re-coop the full cost of those tires on top of the value of your car).

Also, comparing a 03SS to a 07SS is apples and oranges. '00-'05 was one style of the Monte and offered the 3400/3800/3800SC drivetrains. The '06-'07, the Monte was restyled and does not share any of those previous drive trains. The '03SS has a 3800 v6 and the '07SS has a LS v8. That is a big game changer.

All food for thought.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for your insightful reply, you are very knowledgeable. I guess I was just trying to make myself appreciate, keep my 03 that is paid for rather than go after the 07 and the debt that would come with it

Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 PM

Hi `Shawn, I think you are making a wise decision. You know your Monte & what you have in it + it's a beautiful Monte Carlo S.S. 4-Sure! A Monte is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. You are always better off if you can sell it yourself to someone that appreciatea a great looking Monte.
Most dealers don't...They are in business to make $'s.

Admin `Jason, Super Thread and super advice...Thanks for taking your time to share your knowledge on this subject.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Shawn, I think you are making a wise decision. You know your Monte & what you have in it + it's a beautiful Monte Carlo S.S. 4-Sure! A Monte is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. You are always better off if you can sell it yourself to someone that appreciatea a great looking Monte.
Most dealers don't...They are in business to make $'s.

Admin `Jason, Super Thread and super advice...Thanks for taking your time to share your knowledge on this subject.
Thanks for the compliments Mike, and I agree Jason is awesome
I will stick with my paid off car for awhile I never wanted a red car anyway, to common LOL

Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Hi `Shawn, you are really fortunate to have your Monte paid `off You have a sweet Monte with great mod's.

I'm sure you would be a MOTM nominee if you remain a
active MCF member.
Keep it clean & maintained & it will be a desired car
by many. It's already taken it's major depreciation & you
still drive a car that many would envy.
It's good to save $'s and have a Dream Car Fund.
It's better to own a car, then have a car own you...
Look forward to seeing you more on the MCF.
Get out & enjoy your Monte 4-Sure

Peace/Out

Attached Thumbnails What is my Monte/Car Worth?-shawn-parker.jpg  

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-19-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM

I agree that these entities like KBB and NADA are catered to the dealers who are in the buisness to make money so most of the time there values are always under what you can get out on the private market and they simply cannot give a value for the limited part such as the pace cars or the nascar driver editions. There is just no way for them to put a value on that. I have always said that the value of anything is determined by the person buying it. If it what you really want and what really makes you happy then its worth what you pay for it. Whats worth 5000 to one person may not be worth 2000 to the next. There will always be the extinuating circumstance but the value and worth is determined by the buyer.

Quick Reply: FAQ: What is my Monte/Car Worth?