General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What direction should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Slap some headers on next My TOGS are still sitting here waiting to be put on lol.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I have thought about it. But I kind of want to get rid of all the DoD parts first and it seems easier to start from the top and work myself down that way over time unless I am mistaken. The way I understood it was the DoD lifters and all that need to be out before any big mods like that
I was just looking at bang for the buck. Just have to figure in money for head bolts/ gaskets on top of the price for a normal ls motor cam swap. You could probably do the whole swap for under 1k and pick up 50 hp. Just my opinion. The new manifolds on most gm cars seem to be pretty efficient, so you don't pivk up a HUGE amount. If you are willing to spend the extra time it will be very very worth it.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I was just looking at bang for the buck. Just have to figure in money for head bolts/ gaskets on top of the price for a normal ls motor cam swap. You could probably do the whole swap for under 1k and pick up 50 hp. Just my opinion. The new manifolds on most gm cars seem to be pretty efficient, so you don't pivk up a HUGE amount. If you are willing to spend the extra time it will be very very worth it.
I understand. Our intakes are very restricted out of all ls engines we stand to gain the most swapping intakes for another stock ls intake. That's where alit if people start. But trust me I would love to cam it for sure. At this pointiI am just looking at all my options

Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

I still hate you guys for getting 243 heads

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
RED DEVIL

at least that should be one thing I won't have to worry about

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Intake upgrade would be nice if you're up for the project. Ported throttle body and a MAF upgrade are smaller easy upgrades, I can help on the MAF upgrade.

OBX LS4 headers can be had for $475 shipped from the place I got my OBX headers from for my TrailSS. I'd at least upgrade your downpipe using a ZZP 3" unit, again a smaller easier upgrade, easy install.

Nothing wrong with the 7th gen brakes but if you want to upgrade to 12.7"s I'd pull some low mileage calipers off ebay/wreckers from a 2006+ Cadillac DTS, same rotor size as GXP, similar pad size, and you'll find em for $50 a side or less. 2006+ DTS (not limo, the regular DTS), 06+ Lucerne with Northstar, 08-09 Buick Super, 12-13 Impala police and 07 CTS Sport.

When the time comes for a cam, have the intake and headers already done or do em at the same time. The G8 guys are shoving in LS3 camshafts to replace their DoD cams with very reasonable results. Cam costs $130 brand new, $60 for some LS6/3 valve springs, plus gaskets, hard to beat, especially if you're handy enough to install the cam yourself.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Overkill
Intake upgrade would be nice if you're up for the project. Ported throttle body and a MAF upgrade are smaller easy upgrades, I can help on the MAF upgrade.

OBX LS4 headers can be had for $475 shipped from the place I got my OBX headers from for my TrailSS. I'd at least upgrade your downpipe using a ZZP 3" unit, again a smaller easier upgrade, easy install.

Nothing wrong with the 7th gen brakes but if you want to upgrade to 12.7"s I'd pull some low mileage calipers off ebay/wreckers from a 2006+ Cadillac DTS, same rotor size as GXP, similar pad size, and you'll find em for $50 a side or less. 2006+ DTS (not limo, the regular DTS), 06+ Lucerne with Northstar, 08-09 Buick Super, 12-13 Impala police and 07 CTS Sport.

When the time comes for a cam, have the intake and headers already done or do em at the same time. The G8 guys are shoving in LS3 camshafts to replace their DoD cams with very reasonable results. Cam costs $130 brand new, $60 for some LS6/3 valve springs, plus gaskets, hard to beat, especially if you're handy enough to install the cam yourself.
What are your thoughts on the OBX headers? I see a lot of people mention them but no one has bought them and posted about them on any of the forums. I have a 3" hogan catless Downpipe already

With the brakes I need to make sure I get the brackets with them correct?

We will see if I make it to a cam. I would love to but like I said at this point it seems like the last piece in the puzzle and have plenty of work to do before then

Thanks for all the good info Will

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Overkill

Is the ls4 a single bolt cam set up?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM

No complaints yet on the OBX headers I run on my TrailSS. Good fit, good performance. Not sure who they copied on those, they obviously copied the DT headers on the LS4. I wouldn't have concerns buying them for as inexpensive as they are.

And yes ensure you get the brackets with the calipers!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Is the ls4 a single bolt cam set up?
Off the top of my head:

The 05-06 is the 1x cam signal and 3 bolt

The 07-09 is the 4x cam signal and single bolt.

I forget now if they make a 1x single bolt cam gear, is that why you asked? LS3 cam is single bolt.

Quick Reply: What direction should I go?