General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Voltage drops when running A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Default Voltage drops when running A/C

Hey guys, long time since I have been on here with the new job, school, etc...anyways I have a new question for everyone here....

I have noticed this for awhile but been too lazy to do anything about but here goes: when I run my a/c I can see my voltage dropping periodically from like 13.5 volts where it supposed to be down below half on the gauge. It never goes down to like 8 or anything ridiculous but if I am running my amp it does it even more. Before the amp it still did this so I know that is not the culprit. I have a 2 farad cap on my mtx amp running around 500w RMS btw. Is this a ground issue? I replaced them ground wiring on the chassis and transmission with 4 gauge about a year ago and had a bunch of electrical issues after doing it due to a lack of contact :/ what should I do here to fix this?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Eh... Check your fuses first of all. Also, your alternator and/or battery could be starting to go bad.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd start with having the battery and alternator checked to make sure they are in good condition. Also check/clean ground connections from engine to frame and frame to battery. While you're at it check/clean the battery terminals also. I realize you said it did it before installing the amp, but did you upgrade the supply wire from the alternator to battery? I put an (amateur) radio in my Blazer and experienced a voltage/amperage drop every time I keyed the microphone. Replacing the supply wire with a heavier gauge over the factory one solved the problem for me. Check voltage/amperage output at the alternator and at the battery with engine idling and all accessories on. If you see significant difference between the two upgrade the supply wire.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM

I need to upgrade the supply wire definitely. I put in a new battery & alternator last year at the same time so I doubt those are the issues. I will clean everything up - terminals, grounds and add supply wire - hopefully tomorrow, and post the results.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM

i would use a volt meter after you get your battery checked. what i mean is it soulds like a voltage regulator is going bad in the alt or the battery is going bad. but i do have a question do you have capasitors for your stereo system? because it will also put a hamper on the charging system. but first thing first check the battery and the altinator. the battery should be the first. then the altinator.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM

the cap is irrelevant really because it was only installed last week on my amplifier and before the amp was even installed it would do this.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just because a battery/alternator is new doesn't mean it's not the culprit. I would still get them tested.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have 2 MTX amps....4700 thunder and a 500 D...
Check both grounds from the amps to frame....
And be sure you have the correct Wireing it all together!
Also dbl ck the "inline" fuse..

(Did you instahl it yourself?

Also I had to go to a Heavy duty alternator....I also have a "Inline" power switch. (to turn amps off when not in use like parked over night to not drain the battery) along with a in dial that controls..how many watts I preferr to use...(Dial up or down the subs)

check my garage for my amps subs etc...
Youll also notice my amps are mounted on the sub box as well...
My system was instahled by MTX...Techs...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Unhappy New Battery and Alternator has been tested?

I have a 98 Monte and for the past month when i use my a/c the lights start to fade out and the air goes warm I have checked the fuses and all except the lighter fuse are good. Any suggestions???

Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 AM

You're going to notice some voltage drop with A/C on. First the blower motor pulls 30 amps. Second, the A/C clutch pulls 10 amps. Third, the fans pull anywhere from 20-40 amps.

Quick Reply: Voltage drops when running A/C