General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Upgraded/Performance Brakes

Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
Even dumber question. Can this be done to a 5th Gen also?

I know this thread is ancient, but I figured I'd reply to this question since it wasn't answered yet, and there is a lot of good info on here already.

I can say for sure that the 6th/7th Gen brake upgrades posted above will not work with the 5th gen. The front suspension on the 5th gen montes is extremely different than the newer montes. The functional concepts are the same, but practically nothing is interchangeable.

Specifically talking about caliper upgrades, I have my front end apart now and check a set of ctsv calipers I had laying around (which are the same bolt spacing as thr other caliper upgrades) and I can say for sure that the bolts done line up. The caliper bracket holes are 1/2" or more off.

Theoretically, it wouldnt be impossible to change it. The ring of metal that the caliper bracket bolts to is a simple machined piece that is welded to the stock knuckle. You could have a machine shop cut off the welds and machine a new bracket with the correct hole spacing and mount offset. Then they could weld thus back to the knuckle.

That is a pretty extreme course of action though, and you'd have to be careful who you have do it since it is a really critical safety problem if a weld were to fail. The better option, if you were set on one of those brake upgrade, would be to swap the 6th gen front suspension (cradle, LCAs, struts, knuckles, etc etc).