General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Upgraded/Performance Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM

OUCH!!!! thats is expensive!!!!
I do believe i wil just stick with the GXP upgrade.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jordanshedd5
OUCH!!!! thats is expensive!!!!
I do believe i wil just stick with the GXP upgrade.
Thanks
I understand that. As I have stated, we supply the GXP upgrade. $750 per axle. Let me know when your ready and give us a call.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In regards to drilled/slotted, I use to get the power slot, slotted drilleds and they were decent. I agree that Drilled/slotted are not a good idea if you get cheaper rotors, they have more of a tendancy to crack due to the less/cheaper material.

A few years back I decided to pay a lil more and get drilled/slotted rotors from Baer..pricier, but the change in braking was unbelieveable...and no issues with cracking or anything so I was pleased with them.

I am considering doing a caliper upgrade, when I do I am weighing towards baer calipers...they'll be in the 3k range, just wanna do some upgrades to the gto before I go ahead with this.

Joe

Old 12-11-2010, 06:22 PM

i believe GXP calipers are heavier than Fbody brakes if weight is an issue to you.
IMO, if you're putting the car on a diet enough to be worried about the GXP calipers weighing a little more; then I'd assume switching to the 13" rotors alone would be a no go- especially since they're unsprung weight as well as rotational weight. If you were trying to save weight- you'd would save some going back to a 97-03 GP brake, or I think Intense used to have a kit to use grand am front brakes (for drag use only).

I did not know that about the GXP brakes! Nice bit of info there. Was it an option or standard equipment?
All GP GXP's had the same brakes.

I have found the GXP upgrade on ZZP's site
It would be 13" rotors front and rear.
However i was wondering if there was anything that would be bigger?
I recently Upgraded to 20" Wheels (not donk or ghetto or whatever)(looks clean and sports) and the 13" rotors are only a little bigger than the stock 12" up front...

NEW WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
SMALL BRAKES!!!
Obviously if you go custom, you can always go as big as you want- but as said above; once you get out of stuff you can pick from a junkyard (ie the GXP parts), you start getting stupid expensive. If you really wanted 14" brakes- you could look into adapting the front calipers from either a C6 Z06 or a CTS-V; as both were made to work with a 14" rotor (which would likely have to be custom drilled for our bolt pattern).

IMO, the cheaper solution if you don't want so much gap would be to drop to a 19" or 18" wheel; plus- 14"+ brakes are going to be completely overkill for any normal setup anyways.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 PM

I put a set of Brakemotives from Ebay. No problems so far with about 4k miles.

Before:

After:

Finished (wheels not clean)

Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I couldn't even install those brakemotives rotors on my rear without metal flaking off. Haven't had a great experience with them. My car still stops, but I hate doing it when the brakes are hot.

I'm gonna wear them off since I don't drive much anymore, I'll upgrade them to a real rotor when I have the extra cash.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those look really good. How do they look now that you have put 4K on them?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Not bad, still shiny a little brake dust:

Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Default fronts to rear

If i upgrade the front brakes to gxp, can i put my 12" fronts on the rear to upgrade the current 11" brakes? The gxp's rears are 12's too.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2015, 04:11 PM

hi will the rear calipers from an f body fit in the 2002 mc 3.8 aswell? if so do i need to change the rotors too?

Quick Reply: Upgraded/Performance Brakes