General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Upgraded/Performance Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dumb question: Does this advice apply to all late model Montes? My '06 LTZ?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Even dumber question. Can this be done to a 5th Gen also?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 AM

I believe the 13"/12" brakes were standard on the GXP, being that it was a higher performance car.
The W-body store carries both of the setups as a kit. I think that the front kit is $330.
The rear setup goes for $600, which kind of shocked me when I saw the price. Their kit does include rotors (they came with drilled/slotted rotors stock) though.
You could probably source those out yourself if you wanted to as well.
Oh, and the other good part of the GXP brake upgrade is that it uses vented rotors on the rear, while ours use solid rotors.

I honestly think that the calipers themselves are pretty much the same thing as the F-body calipers so I don't know if they actually weight more. They are a dual piston aluminum caliper on the front, and GM tends to use the same parts as often as possible.
That's how it is with the '97-'03 grand prix versus the Monte/Impala brakes. They use the same caliper and pads, but the monte/impala got a bigger bracket and a bigger rotors.

They would use a bigger bracket to clear the 13" rotors though, and those would weigh.
The setup overall is going to be heavier due to the 13" rotors. More unsprung weight, and more rotating mass.
You wouldn't want to use those on an all-out drag car, but if you want huge brakes they're a plug and play option.

I don't know about the 5th/7th gen compatibility though.
I've only been doing my research on the '00-'04.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Don't know if this will help, but I know 06-07 Monte's (all including V6) come standard with dual piston calipers in front...Maybe you could use the caliper from and 06-07 on the 00-05 Monte????

Snyderman, as for your question, I don't know what size rotors we have on the 06-07 models, but like I said we already have dual piston calipers, so you shouldn't need to change anything....except maybe to drilled and slotted rotors, which I will be changing to on my next brake job!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Drilled and Slotted FTL

Slotted at most. D/S wear out fast and have a tendency to crack and warp. They look nice, but be prepared to change them more frequently and they cost more.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Slotted....

Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Slotted ONLY for the street!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Well, I guess I will just have to find out the hard way how good the D/S Rotors work on my car....

I already purchased 4 New D/S rotors and Power Stop Evolution Ceramic pads. I got everything about 3 weeks ago on Ebay for $200.50, with Free shipping. It sounded way to good to be true, but the seller had like over 10,000 reviews, and only 1 negative mark. Everyone was raving about the product, and price, so I figured screw it, for $200 bucks, I will try them. I have yet to install them, because i'm waiting till my factory pads are worn completly, but my factory rotors are already, and have been completly shot for a while now. They are warpped.

The reason I went with the D/S was because I had them on my Cavalier only on the front, and they worked awesome, never warpped, and I personally did not notice much of a difference in pad life on that car...We will see about the Monte. Plus, the ones i got specifically said they were designed for street use only, not for serious track use. I also love the look of D/S rotors...

Anyway, after I get them installed, I will let you all know, and let you know what I think of them, they look great out of the box...I would guess I will be hearing the wear indicators pretty soon...My fronts have 52k, and the rears have 71K...So they got to be close to done!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Default Bigger is Better

I have found the GXP upgrade on ZZP's site
It would be 13" rotors front and rear.
However i was wondering if there was anything that would be bigger?
I recently Upgraded to 20" Wheels (not donk or ghetto or whatever)(looks clean and sports) and the 13" rotors are only a little bigger than the stock 12" up front...

NEW WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
SMALL BRAKES!!!

Attached Thumbnails Upgraded/Performance Brakes-2010-12-07_16-31-18_483-compress.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jordanshedd5
I have found the GXP upgrade on ZZP's site
It would be 13" rotors front and rear.
However i was wondering if there was anything that would be bigger?
I recently Upgraded to 20" Wheels (not donk or ghetto or whatever)(looks clean and sports) and the 13" rotors are only a little bigger than the stock 12" up front...

NEW WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
SMALL BRAKES!!!

They are available bigger. Question is how much you want to spend?? Personally I have the GXP kit installed on my MC. We sell those kits too.

These can be made to fit a MC. Cost? $5K per axle (370mm rotor front kit)

Or these can be made for the MC. Carbon Ceramic Rotors. Cost? $12.5K per axle (380mm front kit)

Quick Reply: Upgraded/Performance Brakes