General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): um ****

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Default um ****

GAH I HATE MY CAR SOMETIMES!!!(yes i will be venting). I tried to take the stupid pummel off and couldnt get they freaking bottom bolt figured no big deal ill take off everything connected to the pummel as well since i plan on painting that too. then*snap* the freaking bolt that connects the tb to the collant brakes of now, how the heck am i going to get that out! wth! Love the engine and hate it at the same time! only good thing i guess is i am not leaking any coolant but for how long til it starts shooting everywhere!!......i hate this love/hate relationship i have with my car......venting session over

Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 PM

I tried to take the stupid pummel off
What is a pummel?

I tried teh googles:

Elvis Pummel

Pummel the uterus pinata

Pummel horse

Pummel Pads

Inflatable pummel

First image result Pummel.jpg

Then I tried pummel car:

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-26-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
What is a pummel?

I tried teh googles:

Elvis Pummel

Pummel the uterus pinata

Pummel horse

Pummel Pads

Inflatable pummel

First image result Pummel.jpg

Then I tried pummel car:

gah! sorry plenum lol dont know why i wrote plummel

Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

When you take bolts out that connect the TB extension to the plenum, use a wrench to get it loose little by little and once its somewhat loose, use some needle nose vise crips to grab the end of the stud and turn it out. Once you have the bolts out, grind the end of the stud off down to the bolt head so its just a bolt, not a stud. Then you can use a universal joint on an extention to get the bottom bolt in and out easily. Make sure you replace the gasket between the plenum and the LIM as well as the gasket between the plenum and the TB extension. Ive had mine off a few times now and ive got it down to a science. Can remove the plenum in about 15 minutes now.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
When you take bolts out that connect the TB extension to the plenum, use a wrench to get it loose little by little and once its somewhat loose, use some needle nose vise crips to grab the end of the stud and turn it out. Once you have the bolts out, grind the end of the stud off down to the bolt head so its just a bolt, not a stud. Then you can use a universal joint on an extention to get the bottom bolt in and out easily. Make sure you replace the gasket between the plenum and the LIM as well as the gasket between the plenum and the TB extension. Ive had mine off a few times now and ive got it down to a science. Can remove the plenum in about 15 minutes now.
I would of never thought of that got any tips for the broken bolt there this tb extention connect to the cooling system, or just leave that for now, its not leaking any coolant and is maintaining pressure so i got pretty dang lucky

Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The only thing you can really do is drill out the bolt and retap it. Ive never had any luck with any of those broken bolt removal gimmick tools. Especially in aluminum. As long as its not leaking, I would just leave it for now. You may do more damage trying to get it out than you will if you just leave it alone. Drilling a steel bolt out of an aluminum piece can be tricky cause the bit wants to walk off the bolt and messes up the aluminum around it.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM

coo thnx