General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

ubend delete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ubend delete?

So I had talked about getting a ubend delete from zzp but yesterday I went to a friends dads shop and he said he could make me the pipe and weld it in for 50 to 60 bucks. so I have an apointment for that on tuesday. My question is will I notice much performance or sound from it? Or I guess will I feel it there and will it help me more when I get my dual exhaust doneż?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:28 PM

I read here before that a local shop should be doing them for less or so.
How much more is the zzp downpipe? because with that i think you won't need welding its a direct bolt on, again i am not sure. just rambling along lol

Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Yeah, youll be happy with the gain. Im not sure about the sound though. and the one from ZZP is kinda pricey but you have teh option of getting a high flow cat as well. I know I was super happy when I got my downpipe from them. But I got the offroad one *smells great*

Old 05-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Hey, i found this very useful thread.
Check it out, read waynes post to get an idea of what to do.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ht=bend+delete

RocknSS04

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

If you get the DP with hi-flow cat, you WILL throw a "CEL" (check engine light) P0420 code. It needs to be programmed out of your PCM.
You're really starting to add up $$$ here, and IMHO, you're heading down a wrong path. I HAVE the powerlog manifold, but the S&S headers weren't readily available when I got that. For about the same price of a 3" dp + hi-flow cat' + powerlog, you can get headers and a hi-flow cat combo. NOW you're talking! Personally, If I was you, at THIS point in your life, get the U-bend delete and call it a day. IF you got the money to throw at your car, do it RIGHT, and get the headers, but that's only a SMALL part of the equation,

You can do searches all day, but here's the gist of what's going on:

FIRST, you have an L67. It's SUPERCHARGED. You KNOW that. But here's the REAL difference between mod'ing an N/A 3.8 and the S/C 3.8: The KEY is getting these things to BREATHE, but breathe without getting the air overheated, and controlling knock retard (timing, or KR). That can lead to ALL kinds of problems, the worst being chipped pistons. You can do lots to make them pretty, sound different, etc, but to modify your car and spend your money EFFICIENTLY, you need to do it METHODICALLY. And honestly, your cat back exhaust system isn't EVEN part of the equation right now. Down pipe, yes. But reconsider the powerlog and look for a set of USED S&S headers. Not Pacesetters, but S&S. They have smaller tubes, and you will lose less low end torque with those, and THAT is what you feel when you push on your gas pedal.

To do it right:
1. get a CAI, whether Wizaired, K&N, or my recommendation, a good homemade fenderwell intake.
2. S&S headers w/ hi-flow cat, #3800CH
3. 180* thermostat.
4. Colder NGK Iridium spark plugs.
5. 3.4" pulley.
6. If the $$$ allow it, 1.9 rockers. Optional, but worth it. You could probably run a 3.3" pulley with this mod.
7. Custom tune, or at MINIMUM, a ZZP tuned PCM. This is what pulls it all together.
8. larger fuel injectors. Again optional, but you will start starving for more gas, I know, I'm there. This is a MUST DO if you put bigger rockers in. This will require a retune.
9. larger exhaust. Factory exhaust is good to 400 hp.
You CAN NOT do the pulley swap WITHOUT doing a tune! But the pulley swap is where the REAL power comes from. Going from 7#s of boost to 10 or 12#s, or more.
Ryan, how much boost you pushing now?

My point, you're in college. Do a fenderwell intake and a U-bend delete and call it a day UNTIL you got a stash of cash and can DO IT ALL AT ONCE. You do those 2 mods and you will FEEL that. Probably 20HP right there, if the fenderwell CAI is smooth and efficient.

Did I miss anything here?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with wht02monte. You will enjoy a catless d/p from ZZP much more then getting your ubend removed. I like the smell too, lol.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 PM

yesterday I went to a friends dads shop and he said he could make me the pipe and weld it in for 50 to 60 bucks. so I have an apointment for that on tuesday.
IMO, if all someone is doing is a ubend delete- that's the way to go. Its seriously just a matter of cutting out the odd shaped pipe- and replacing it with a straight pipe- and welding the O2 bung in the side- its a very simple job. You just have to watch out for the places that thing its going to mess something up because they don't know any better.

My question is will I notice much performance or sound from it? Or I guess will I feel it there and will it help me more when I get my dual exhaust doneż?
Little more performance, and virtually no change in sound.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 PM

I just thought of somthing here mitch, you got the tuned PCM from milzy right? You dont need to worry about throwing any codes cause he deletes them (rear o2 sensor) out of the PCM when he tunes it. So, either way you go (downpipe or delete) you should be fine. Maybe even get the job done a little cheaper since there isnt anything other than cutting out and welding in.

EDIT: I highly reccomend you get the catless downpipe from ZZP though, if you dont have emmisions laws, well TESTS where you live. If you do though, make sure its the one for the 3400 engines.>>>>>>
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=635
I also HIGHLY reccomend spending the extra 60 bucks to get it in 304 stainless since you're in wisconsin, as well as getting the gaskets.
And just to let you know, the downpipe shown in that pic is for the 3800 I dont know why? The one you would get isnt a bent one, its at an angle.

Last edited by wht02monte; 05-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member

i dont think im going to do the downpipe, only because i dont want to make my car much louder because my parents are starting to get annoyed with the CAI sound already, because its too loud and they pay my insurance until i get out of college, so i think im just going to do the ubend delete for now because 60 bucks isnt a whole lot to hold me off until i do want a downpipe

thanks for the input tho guys, i think if i get more power from the ubend delete, ill be pretty happy hah

Old 05-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Just a reminder, you shouldnt throw any codes. So, if you can save the money by having a little less labor done (welding an o2 bung) try for it. And, im not to sure on this, but i dont think it would be that much louder getting the cat deleted either since you got the stock muffler on there still. And as for a resonator delete, that will only make it louder in the car. Just a thought though. If you know the guy real good, just have a little talk to him about deleting the big 3 (res, cat, ubend)
not trying to talk you into anything if you already have your mind made up. Cause what I was thinking was, since you dont need to pay for the extra labor for having the o2 bung welded in, maybe you could get a custom DP made for pretty dam close to teh price you were already expecting to pay?? IDK though, just somthing to give a good think over about??
Whatever you do, make sure to let us know what you think of the extra power.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Just a reminder, you shouldnt throw any codes. So, if you can save the money by having a little less labor done (welding an o2 bung) try for it. And, im not to sure on this, but i dont think it would be that much louder getting the cat deleted either since you got the stock muffler on there still. And as for a resonator delete, that will only make it louder in the car. Just a thought though. If you know the guy real good, just have a little talk to him about deleting the big 3 (res, cat, ubend)
not trying to talk you into anything if you already have your mind made up. Cause what I was thinking was, since you dont need to pay for the extra labor for having the o2 bung welded in, maybe you could get a custom DP made for pretty dam close to teh price you were already expecting to pay?? IDK though, just somthing to give a good think over about??
Whatever you do, make sure to let us know what you think of the extra power.
okay, what he told me is that if i dont have the o2 sensor that i could run too rich and would be bad, i could ask him when i go in how much extra it would be to do a custom ubend, but i would think it would be somewhere in the 150 dollar range with the highflow cat and extra piping with bending

Quick Reply: ubend delete?