General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
My complaint is that most of this stuff is just bolt on. They never really learn what it takes to make an engine operate properly.
I know what you mean. There's certainly been a shift with the instant gratification culture that doesn't care to learn but just wants the answer handed to them. Can't even be bothered to research it - just fire away questions in a FB group and run with what they say.

The generational shift doesn't help either- it seems like theres so many more kids of driving age these days that don't even care about getting a license, much less a car.

We shall see how it goes. Got the entire tranny for under $2K, including shipping. Even a small military discount.
Thats not a bad price at all, especially with the craziness of today's inflation / prices.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
What do you want to know?

The 4t65e trans was a weak point on the 3800 powered cars with 200 HP, so it is very weak on a 300 HP higher torque LS4. Some people get lucky and don't need to worry about their transmission, some people have them break easily. The best thing you can do is a pan drop, filter change, and refill with new fluid. Do this regularly and don't manually shift your car. If you think the car doesn't shift the way that you want, get a tune.

Fenderwell rust is a common issue on these cars, costs a good penny to cut it out and repair it correctly, I would find a shop that you trust and would hopefully warranty their work.
As in don't manually downshift? If so I'm gonna be in a load of trouble lol.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I know what you mean. There's certainly been a shift with the instant gratification culture that doesn't care to learn but just wants the answer handed to them. Can't even be bothered to research it - just fire away questions in a FB group and run with what they say.

The generational shift doesn't help either- it seems like theres so many more kids of driving age these days that don't even care about getting a license, much less a car.

Thats not a bad price at all, especially with the craziness of today's inflation / prices.

The highest I ran into was Jegs, because for some reason they charge sales tax, but the other company that buys from them does not. Most have a $350 core charge and pay shipping back. The one I got had NO core charge but if I don't send it back they hit me for $750.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls
As in don't manually downshift? If so I'm gonna be in a load of trouble lol.
Why would you downshift an automatic? These aren't THAT kind of car.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yo McFly, because he can for a number of reasons. Girl friends panties snap on shifter and there is one down shift, Her bra then gets caught and it gets shuifted back into high gear. Thought you remembered that, isnt your nick name "Stinky Finger?".

Old 06-17-2022, 09:01 AM

Have you ever heard of engine braking? Really helpful for me, especially since I need new brakes asap lol

Old 06-17-2022, 11:38 AM

Have you ever heard of engine braking? Really helpful for me, especially since I need new brakes asap lol
Sounds like you need a job, or a better paying one. The longer you go needing brakes the more expensive it will get. Pads are cheap. Rotors are not.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:43 AM

Sounds like you need a job, or a better paying one. The longer you go needing brakes the more expensive it will get. Pads are cheap. Rotors are not.
The rotors and pads went at the same time, from an aircraft mechanic, thanks for the tip.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:12 AM

The rotors and pads went at the same time, from an aircraft mechanic, thanks for the tip.
That is not possible. You have a certain amount of pad before it wears down too far and then the metal from the pad gets into the rotor. I have changed pads dozens of times before they got into the rotor. Rarely did I even have to turn them.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:37 AM

That is not possible. You have a certain amount of pad before it wears down too far and then the metal from the pad gets into the rotor. I have changed pads dozens of times before they got into the rotor. Rarely did I even have to turn them.
To clarify his situation.. I think something got in the brakes and ruined both the pads and rotor.
Or am I thinking of someone else?

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Transmissions?